Diagnosis
01/2012
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Columbus
I'm new here and overwhelmed. My husband was diagnosed in January, but wasn't able to work for six months before. We have three children at home. Our income is $2100.00 per month. We just can't stay afloat. The kids have to wear clothes they are outgrowing. We just got a shut off notice from our phone company. It will only get worse. Is there charity or someone that can help us?

Re: Where can I go for help.

HI

First-- contact the ALSA in your state for helo.
second--has he applied for SSDI? It's not income based--it's for ALL workers that can no longer work. If he's been off 6 months--he qualifies today--immediately.

Contact social services. In FL, we have '211' we can call for local agencies (assuming you have a land-line)

Contact his doctor--they can put a moratorium on cutting of electric if it's medically necessary, I believe.

Check social services in your state--but int he meantime, get a Magicjack--they are $20 bucks a year. (Phone service) With your income and a family of 4 you may be eligible for foodstamps and medical assistance.

I get less than half what you make--but I'm supporting me--and was eligible for help. Social Services also has a lifeline service--free cell phone service.

There are always places for free clothes. If it weren't for Goodwill and Salvation army, I wouldn't own any. There are many places that help with clothes free as well.

Oh, you're in Ohio. I was born and raised there. Columbus has TONS of assistance. Or did when I was there.

If he hasn't done so yet--have him file that SSDI--he'll be eligible immediately for medicare as well.

I'm sorry--I know it sucks. Money is short for everyone fighting this disease. If I had any, I'd help.

Edit: I jut checked--the cut off for a family of 4 for food stamps is $1667 -- take home. Sigh. Apply anyway--list the ALS. Apply for medicaid as well. All they can do is say no. I believe the income changes with disabled people.

Ditto, notme

do you have the church family, friends?

Praying for you!

Not me gave you wonderful ideas.

Here is a website with Franklin County assistance. It gives you help resources for: mortgage, state and local, credit card & debt, medical bills & free health care, rent assistance, electric & heating bills, chairty assistance..etc.

If you are in dire straits this might be of assitance:
Crisis Assistance Programs

"Receive emergency assistance from St. Stephen's Community House. This charity agency will help all members of the local Columbus Ohio community regardless of the exact neighborhood they live in or their religious affiliation. No one is turned away. Some of the services and resources offered by St. Stephen's includes funds for basic needs such as food, housing assistance, clothing and health care, the charity will nurture its children with free day care and education, they have a goal of strengthening the family with social services and parenting classes, and professionals will also care for community senior citizens with critical services, attention, and respect. this charity can be reached at 614-294-6347 ."

All can be found at this website (take out spaces...I am hoping this doesn't go to moderation so you can have it immediately)

w w w . n e e d h e l p p a y i n g b i l l s . c o m / h t m l / f r a n k l i n _ c o u n t y _ a s s i s t a n c e _ p r o . h t m l

Good luck to you!

I've received some help this year from my town's Family Services dept, the food pantry (I didn't need the food, but they paid for oil for my house!), and my church... reach out and ask, you'll be amazed at how many people will be able to help you, or direct you to someone for help. But you have to ask.... which is the hardest part for all of us. Good luck.

PS. My fashion-queen daughter LOVES thrift store shopping, we get the best clothes there!

A lot of states And counties have other things that can help. My county has a elderly and disabled program where if you are low income you can get reduced(or pay nothing) depending on income for real estate tax, trash pick up, personal propery tax, etc. Every little thing helps. Also you can get a cell phone for free if you are low income or disabled through several companies like SAFE LINK.
Of course.. Like others have mentioned . Churches, food pantries, etc. Even electric companies sometimes have assistance with electric, heat, etc.
The little things add up. So if you can save a little bit on this and that it adds up. We make about the same as you and have a kid going to local community college. (she got a full poll grant b/c of our income)
Good luck to you. I know it is hard and frightening to try to make ends meet and have to deal with the disease too

We already tried some of the options recommended and I'll stay on it. It takes sooo much time for them to respond. We got a turn off notice for our phone and are past due with electric. We can hardly afford gas anynore. A person in our support group told us to try als gardian angels. I called and left a message today. Has anyone used them?

Unfortunately, ALS Guardian Angels has shut down. Its such a shame, as Stu was truly a pioneer and helped any and all PALS that he could.

Are there any other organizations like them that might help? We just need some quick help to keep our utilities on.

Again, try local churches. Ours helps local families regardless of whether they've ever crossed our threshold.
Good luck, hang in there!

Most states have an emergency utility fund--and they aren't slow--not when there are cut-off notices. If you can show need and no $, foodstamps have to reply within 7 days, I believe.

The Catholic Church has chapters in every state--and they will help with urgent needs--I'v e had help from them in the past, and I'm not Catholic

The 211 line is through United Way--they keep a list of help for every state. Even if you don't have the 211 via the phone in Ohio--United Way does have a website.

I wish I could offer something more--I simply can't afford to send anyone anything.

Here is a link to emergency asistance in Franklin county

Franklin County assistance programs | Columbus Ohio

They have a LOT of links in a LOT of areas. Please check them out. Also, how long ago did he apply for SSDI? It shoudln't be long with ALS.

I posted a link that apparently can't be approved, sigh. Look on G 0o g l for Franklin County Ohio emergfency assistance and hopefully it will pop up. I foudn abut 10-15 place for help on one site

I agree with SueG. Check with your local churches. Even if they can't help you directly they are often able to direct you to local resources that are available. I am praying for you and your family.
Cindy

Get the kids on free lunch at school. Call the school counselor and explain the situation. They can usually route you to assistance for the kids like free summer programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back