Diagnosis
09/2010
Country
US
State
LA
City
Broussard
Ok, anyone have this going on? Kevin will suddenly get chills, chattering teeth for about 35-40 minutes then sweating for about 20 minutes. Then he has a bowel movement....WTH?

Tonight he spiked a fever of 101.8 with these symptoms. Can't figure this out....

In my opinion I'd get him to the doctor. Fever is an indication of infection.

He is in the rehab hospital after getting his trach, peg and suprapubic catheter

No experience with fevers for ALS but it's a good thing he's in rehab. so they can keep a close eye on him. Take care both of you. Yasmin.

What do they say about it at the facility?

So sorry to hear this, they should be taking good care of him there. What Marta said what do the docs there say?

Sounds like he might be dealing with a stomach infection or virus. Keep him hydrated, and chicken noodle soup definately helps. If it get too bad take him in...don't want it getting worse.

Could be anxiety attacks. But I'd make sure theres no infection first.

With a fever like that I'd want the doctor checking on him asap... sounds like an infection to me

With a fever at 101, it's an infection somewhere. Stress doesn't cause fever. Something is going on. A simple CBC might help narrow down the cause.

What are they doing for him? One of the most common things PALS should be cautious of is pneumonia--if his breathing as affected by the ALS.

Sorry Liz--I've never heard of anxiety attacks causing a temp of 101. They can and do increase heart rate and cause some breathing issues--but fever is the #1 sign of infection.

If it's not infection--there are other causes--hypothalamus issues for one.

My pals has chills frequently. The house can be quite warm and she will still start shivering. I put this question on the forum and many people said this was common with ALS patients. As someone said, please make sure that there is no infection before moving forward. Once you have ruled out infection, just accept it. I do not know what causes it. Maybe something in the brain that regulates how body temp is perceived is amiss.
Since the body temp is normal, it must be so. Anyway, I know that in our case cold drinks can bring it on quickly. That is why I give her a lot of warm or hot beverages. That seems to help a lot. Also I have noticed that when she gets cold and I pile on the covers, she soon gets hot and wants me to take them off. It is a constant juggling act to achieve comfort.

Last edited:
It could be something totally unrelated to ALS. If the doctors rule out the usual stuff, including infection, please consider the possibility of a food intolerance. Celiac disease, gluten intolerance, or other food allergies can develop at any time and any age. I regularly had episodes just like Kevin's, including the fever. They were celiac attacks and were misdiagnosed for 15 years. I'm not saying that's what wrong. I only bring it up as something to consider. Most doctors are not well informed about celiac disease or other digestive intolerances.

Does he have bouts of nausea with it and or chest stomach pains could be his gall bladder they can become infected as well as gall stones or sludge a simple gall bladder functioning test blood test or an ultrasound but no matter what he shouldn't be running a fever sometimes you have to demand things to get things done

Continuous catheter use very often cause infection. I would check that asap. We opted to use a urinal to avoid that problem. Condom catheters will also alleviate the problem.

Here is Gina's up date on F B

Thanks to all who have prayed and are continuing to pray for Kevin. His fever broke today. He was on full ventilation today, but will be back on cpap settings tomorrow. He had a strawberry smoothie for evening snack and is feeling much better. Our God is faithful and the prayers you send up on or behalf are HEARD AND ANSWERED. Please let us know how we can pray for you. Love you all so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back