Diagnosis
08/2011
Country
CA
State
Nova scotia
City
Porters lake
MY HUSBAND HAS BEEN IN PAIN FOR MONTHS NOW.nOW IT HAS BECOME UN BEARABLE FOR HIM.i CALLED THE NEUROLIGIST AND HE PRESCRIBED BACHOFLEN.UNFORTUNATLY MY HUSBAND HAS TAKEN A PILL SINCE HIS DIAGONIS BACK IN OCTOBER.hE BELIEVES THIS IS ALL DUE TO A NECK INJURY AN NOT ALS.HE CAN BARLEY WALK,SPEAK ,IS SO WEAL ON THTHE RIGHT SIDE OF HIS BODY AND IS SEVERLT ATROPHIED..BUT STILL REFUESES HELP.wHAT CAN I DO FOR THE PAIN..IS THIS A SIGN HE WONT BE ABLE TO MOVE HIS ARMS SOON?tHANKS ALL

Gosh. This must so hard for you that your husband is going through all of this and still won't admit he has ALS. And so hard for your husband. IF the pain is because of stiffness, Baclofen is definitely the drug to be on. If he's having trouble speaking then he has bulbar involvement and chances are he might soon have difficulty swallowing. Dies he have a PEG? Do you think somebody from the ALS Society or Home Care could come out and talk to him and explain that he needs to make some decisions now? I don't know what else to offer for advice. I'm sorry you're all going through this. Yasmin

I'm sorry you are dealing with this. I would suggest though, to break up the pill and put it in his food or drink. Please speak to his doctor before doing so, to make sure it's okay. It is really hard to help the people we love, who don't accept our help. Just stay strong, positive and motivated for as long as you can.

I would ask the physician to give him something for pain. Baclofen will not act directly on pain. One of the synthetic codeines would be his best choice such as Lortab, or Vicodin. Pain causes stress, and can cause spikes in blood pressure. He does not need that.

He does not have to put up with the pain. I don't know why I keep hearing ALS is not a painful disease... it sure as heck is! Baclofen and Zanaflex can be very helpful for the pain from stiffness. For the other pains, if Tylenol or Aleve or whatever does not help, let the doctor know he needs something stronger. I take Norco or Vicodin when I really need it. But I wouldn't ask for it for a long time... I didn't want to look like a druggie. But then I realized this is a terminal illness and there is no reason to spend what time you have left hurting and miserable. So please let his doctor know! And if what he is prescribed doesn't work, ask for something else!

The muscles are dying and with that there is pain. You should easily be able to get a pain prescription from your neuro or gp....if you can't get appt. soon enough go to urgent care for something temporary till you can get with to one of them.

P.S. I think your Caps Key is on :)

HG, I am so sorry that must be awful for you. They gave me dilaudid for my pain and works ok. Valuim also. Baclofen makes me sick. Get him to a doc so they can help him see whats going on and help relieve him of such awful pain

I have a basket of meds from the neuroligist but he wont take them..its admitting he has als.I would never slip a pill into his food or drink without dicussing it with him first.I believe that is morally wrong.He is my partner and atlough i am in the caregiver role,i have repesct for his decisions,however hard it is for me.I dont want our precious time together to be fighting over meds...i just want to be there love and support him and cherish every moment.

Wow..I am not sure what to say to that..... I understand you not wanting to slip it in unknowingly, but if the benefit is relief of pain, would that not be helping him?

maybe you need to say that to him. what you said in your last post.
i suppose, though, if he doesnt "believe" its ALS, then he doesnt "believe" his time is limited.
Im so sorry. Apart from just giving him the meds, i dont think there is much you can do.
Is there a reason why he is against pills? Could you play it like the pills are for his "neck injury"?

This really puts you in a tough position, having to watch him suffer when there are medications available to help alleviate some of his discomfort. I'm so sorry you're having to deal with his denial on top of the ALS diagnosis and all that comes with it. Is there any sign of FTD?

I agree with LizT. The same pain meds for ALS should also work for his neck problem. and if you put it that way he may be more receptive.
I am sorry that his denial is so strong. However, many people that i talk with were OK before they had an injury. Then after the injury (sometimes right after, sometimes months or more) they started developing the signs of neurological problems, then later diagnosed with ALS. so I feel that it is possible that his neck injury acted like a trigger to neuro problems. But I am no expert. Just my opinion

i believe that he has both an injury and als.I had him almosst convinced to take the meds..but its the possible side effects that he doesnt want to deal with.aside from all that i have decided to overrule and am getting continuing care(ot) to come and help.He says no but I am at the point that i fear something will happen and i wont be ready.I keep praying it will all be ok,he will come to terms with this and have peace.

My husband has extreme pain with ALS. Any of his joints that are frozen still hurt. When I move him in his hoyer lift I can't touch his ankes or his knee or his right side. Give him the meds. Tell him they are for his back/spine. Mine has Percoset for the pain. It makes life bearable and he is able to function.

Does he sit there are read all of the scary side effects before he takes the stuff?

I don't know if it right or anything, but I take a med that has a lot of serious side effects. The pharmicisit basically looked at me and said 'well just don't read all the possible side effects, you will scare yourself silly.' I took his advice, and haven't had a problem with it at all. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

*Note, don't lie to him and say there are no side effects...but let him know maybe anything you take can have a side effect. Point and case- you eat bad food- side effect is severe food poisoning for the next 12-24 hours that will lead to dehydration, nausea, death in worse cases.....you get the idea. *

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back