Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
nv
City
Henderson
I was diagnosed in Dec and got a second opinion from UCLA the beginning of January. I am trying to find a support group here in Las Vegas or Henderson, NV. I think I am coming close to getting a scooter. Any hints about scooter works well?
Thanks

As far as a scooter, they will do for awhile, however you will eventually need a power chair, and they cost over $25,000, so pay out of pocket for the scooter, and use the Medicare for your power chair. Only one mobile device allowed every five yrs. ALS of Nevada may have something you can use in there loaner closet.

Welcome to the Forum primerib!

Thanks that was very interesting and useful

Scooter depends on your size, mine is a GOGO Elite Traveler Plus, which only has 3 wheels, and is easy to use around the house. If you're planning on using it outside on rougher terrain, it wouldn't work so well for that.

Good luck, and be sure to check the loaner closet or online first.

Welcome aboard! Good luck with your wheels.

Thank you for your bible verses mrs. pie. I have trusted your post and continue to pray for your recovery.

So sorry for your diagnosis. Welcome to the family. We are all here for you to help on this journey we are now on. Good advise has been given. Wait for medicare to get power wheelchair, check ALS loaner closet to see if they can help you in the meanwhile. {{HUGS}}

Welcome aboard. Keep asking ?'s and we will all learn things.

Welcome, Primerib!

Welcome primerib! My husband used a power wheel chair. They're very handy and easy to maneuver. Because it was brand new, the cost was shared equally between our insurance company, the ALS Society and ourselves with the understanding that it would be given to the ALS Society when Bob no longer needed it. It was a win, win, win situation. Take care. Yasmin.

Welcome , Primerib! So sorry for your diagnosis!

Re: the scooter: I have one for excursions outside the house, because of arthritis. I have the exact same one as Helen: Pride's GoGo Elite Traveller Plus. I've taken it not only to the mall but to dog shows and wineries where the pavement isn't always so great and it's worked fine. Just make sure to keep your battery charged!

Katie, I also used mine at the ALSA Walk in Boston last year, first time I used it for any distance, but it was fine... I also made sure that I brought my charger, just in case! I like to go fast on it, so it doesn't last as long as if I went slower I guess, but what the heck, I can always put it in "neutral" and make my kids push me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back