lisaohgee

Distinguished member
Country
US
State
IL
City
Evergreen Park
As of Saturday, my mom has had obvious and audible difficulty breathing. She's been gasping for breath, and when laying down it's worse. She has never in the entire course of her disease allowed us to give her any sort of breathing assistance - no bipap, no cough assist, no oxygen. On Sunday she finally said yes to the oxygen. This in itself is a big deal to me for her to actually accept using oxygen.

I saw her today and she looked like she was dying. It's obviously she's struggling to breathe. My question is -- does this sound like the end? The nurse will see her on Wednesday to check for noise in her lungs and the death rattle or what not. But in your experience does this seem like it might be it? I am so tired of watching her suffer...

If it were me I would insist the nurse come sooner. If she IS suffering from air hunger at least she can be given medication (usually morphine) to ease the symptoms. No reason for her to wait until Wednesday for relief. Also... she should probably be sleeping propped or sitting up.. it will also ease her breathing some.

I would probably ask that nurse to come a little quicker than Wed if you are worried about that. The fact that your mom is asking for that o2 shows that she still has some fight in her, and she wants to stay here a little longer. You should definately take some comfort and solace in that! Sounds like though you do need to help her out by making sure that o2 gets to her sooner than later. In the mean time...try to make her as comfortable as possible...maybe sitting up while sleeping. Good luck to you.

Lisa~ I am so sorry to hear that your Mom is struggling to breathe, sending you lots of of prayers & strength for you, for your Mom! I agree that she must still have some fight in her to ask for the oxygen :)

It is hard to sit on the sidelines & watch someone you love suffer so much & there's nothing you can do. I am dealing with that too with my Dad.

Stay strong!

>>>>HUGS<<<<

O2 without bipap will fasten her decline as she will be unable to expire C02 if her respiratory muscles are affected. It is usually given as part of end of life care, unless it is used with bipap/vent (there are pals on here who do use O2 successfully). Wishing you all the best. Dani

she should not have to struggle to breath, i mean she can be made comfortable whether with o2 or meds. the nurse should come see her so she can be made comfortable as possible.

She has no fight in her, I just think she doesn't want to struggle to breathe so much -- she wants the oxygen taken off quite often.

She does have morphine, but doesn't like the taste so she won't take it very often.

I agree with the posts above. No reason for her to be struggling. You can administer morphine in different ways if she's not doing well with the taste. Please talk to the nurse about that. Take care.

What other ways are there to admininister it? She can't take a pill. I'm not sure if crushing the pill and putting it in the feeding tube is a viable option...

there is a sublingual (under the tounge) liquid she can take
prayers and hugs to you and your mom

Last edited:
In my mom's case, the doseage of morphine given under the tongue was eventually increased. At that point, we gave it through her tube.

Hi Lisa,

I wasn't thrilled when I had to go on a breathing machine either. First we just did it at night but not too long after the body said we need it all the time. I've been on one for two and a half years now so this doesn't have to be the end for your mom unless she chooses not to use one... in that case she won't last long. Keep up the good fight... much love to you and your family.

Fight On,
Shane

You can administer it subcutaneously, just under the skin, via injection. We had it in liquid form and gave it to Bob through his tube. It works really quickly that way. Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back