lisaohgee

Distinguished member
Country
US
State
IL
City
Evergreen Park
I think my stepdad needs help and fast. My mom has hospice, but I think he needs somewhere there, at least during the waking hours. He is losing his mind. THe other day he was yelling, frustrated, saying and doing things he should not be doing. It was borderline abusive. I know he's completely exhausted and frustrated and he's done a great job but I think he desperately needs help.

I am not sure what to do. I know hospice has aides/volunteers but how often can they come? Her caregiver during the day while he's working is just a caregiver, I really am starting to think she can't do it alone either.

I am so at a loss right now.

Unfortunately, Medicare will not pay for home health nurses unless the doctor writes an order for a specific medical need such as a bed sore or home health after discharge from hospital.

The hospice agency we used would provide nursing care 5 days a week with a CNA 3 days a week, with volunteers as requested (that did not mean all day, though). I'm pretty sure you would have to put in the request for volunteers a couple of days ahead of time, as that was the case with our agency. But, we never got to put any of what I've just told you into practice.

The best thing to do would be to have your mom consult with the hospice team.

Good luck to your family.

Talk to your Mom's nurse about the situation. Hospice has a social worker assigned to her case. The SW can guide you.
Hospice is funded by Medicare so all of her care must go through them. They may be able to assign additional assistance.

I have talked to the social worker and said I think my stepdad needed the aides/volunteers because he just is losing it. I asked him to make it seem like a next step sort of thing and not an option, because being an option he'd never do it.

Can your Hospice provide Respite Care for a few days?

God help him, I know what he is going through. ALS not only destroys the patient, but often times the caregiver too. It is horrible for a caregiving spouse to be confronted by this monster disease. You are completely in the dark when symptoms change and you adjust to your new world, then you have to adjust again as the disease progresses. It is a most cruel disease that just takes and takes and takes until you and your pals are drained. I wonder every day why this has befallen her and me, because it has ruined both of our lives.

lisa--if they can not afford a caregiver for a few hours everyday--is there anyway you can help either financially or physically. sorry if I cant remember your situation...maybe you have other relatives who could also help pay for the care. don't leave him hanging--he sounds like he is at the end of his rope and your mom will suffer because of it. It is the hardest thing in the world to be the sole caregiver and he needs a break. how old is he and your mom? is he physically well? This terrible disease moves so fast and is so evil--it is going to get worse. Believe me I wish medicare helped with care...

Taking care of my husband 24/7 was the hardest thing I have ever done. I finally found a friend that had recently lost her job that I could pay to stay with him 3 times a week for 4 hour stretches. It made a world of difference, and it wasn't too expensive.

There was a woman here with ALS who had a roster of friends (ten - twelve I think) that took 8 hour shifts to relieve the husband so that he could go to work. They did it for 3 years. It was easier because they were all in their late forties and early fifties, so there were no young children and all were physically able. They did everything. Dressing, feeding, bathing, toileting, you name it. Does your mom have a network of friends that could take two 4 hour shifts?

My doctor wrote a prescription for B-12 shots so since I don't drive anymore a nurse comes every week It doesn't matter that my husband can drive because I'm the patient and Medicare pays for it

My clinic SW was no help. We were given info on "community medicaid" which I've been told is being phased out. We live on our social security and Medicare with my Aenta secondary does not pay for "custodial" help which is what bathing, getting out of bed, etc. is considered. Bed sores and other higher level of care are paid for. Agencies have basically said good luck, you are on your own.

We live modestly, mortgage is a month behind since this started. We drive a 1994 Ford. We live from check to check. We make most of out own equipment. My biggest concern is that my CAL is my 65 yr old husband who has a pacer defibrillator trying to lift me (he is 20 pounds heavier and 2 inches shorter). He does everything except major housecleaning. Our adult son is "special needs" and lives with us. He does try to help out.

I do not understand why the clinic does not give out a booklet on what to do or what you need. If I had not found this forum I would be drowning here. I mean I don't know if it is ok to rest when I am tired or bad because of too much rest.

We were told by the lawyer the clinic refered to us that my husband and I would have to go on medicaid of which we were again told good luck, your on your own.

Relatives live out of state, we have some friends who will help out, but this is just awful.

I'd suggest to all of you that live in the states to contact the ALSA in your state. They should be able to offer some type of suggestions as to what is or is not available in your area.

Respite care, perhaps a live-in caregiver in exchange for room and board--there may be some options with hospice in place. Perhaps even just a few days 'off' if the PAL is willing to go to a hospice facility for a few days? I don't even know if that's possible.

The CAL needs to take care of themselves--or they are useless to the PAL. Sad but true.

Ask your doctor to start you on B-12 shots then the nurse will come out to give you a shot also home care will come out and give you a bath I get one three times a week. The Nurse will also cut your nails and the person that gives you a bath can file your nails there is other things they will do. Just ask when they talk to you. They also change your bed .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back