Diagnosis
01/2007
Country
US
State
Ar
City
Mtn. Home
I have noticed that certain foods seems tough I have even commented to my husband certain food was tough. Today I tried eating a sandwich when I ate less than when I couldn't chew. I can still take and swallow without a problem.
Has anyone had this problem

I have notice with my PALS that she doesn't have the biting power she once had. I do not know whether ALS affects to mandibular muscles or not. She is careful to take small bites and to chew well. If not, she chokes. So, the food may not be tough, the bite may be weak and make it seem tough.

i hve trouble chewing to.

Me too, swallowing fine. Still enjoy food, but must be mashed up. Was thinking today how I miss a good sandwich. Anyone else watch the food channels a lot? :)

now in less than two weeks I can barely chew soft foods. I chew on the right side my teeth will go together but I have noticed my teeth on left side does not meet and it's like I talk out of one side of my mouth.
I had cream of wheat for breakfast, never ate this before in my life.. Not bad, I am not a big fan of trying new foods that may change.

Please be careful about the foods you choose to eat! Do you have a V i t a m i x blender? You can put just about anything in it, add some broth and cream, and you can still taste the foods you like - they will just be a different consistency. You can vary consistency by length of time food is blended and amount of broth/cream added.

How long has this been a problem for you

I don't know the name of what he is using now but it's doing a good job so far.

My bulbar symptoms started as trouble chewing... could only really chew with the left side... right doesn't get the job done. Then the tongue problems started... couldn't move food around in my mouth very well. Then came the swallowing issues. I'm on a soft mechanical diet with nectar thick liquids now. Do I stick to it all the time? Honestly, no... but the chewing fatigue is not a problem when I do stick to it. But I have this mentality about better enjoy some of the good stuff while I still can... very carefully! I found the best solution for me is to find some chewable something I really want to eat, have a little of that, and then the rest of my meal is a soup or pasta with sauce that is easy to eat. It might work for you too. Best of both worlds for now!

Yes, chewing is a major problem. Once chewed, swallowing is OK. But having food hiding between my gums and my cheeks also make eating difficult.

Me too, swallow is ok but chewing is hard.
Make sure you modify (chop up) into small bites. I still can eat steak, it just has to be tiny bites.

I have this problem also but I don't have a problem swallowing. My husband is making chicken salad tomorrow no bread or crrackers they're to tuff. My Tongue is fine I can move it as as always.

Make sure you get some supplemental shakes into your diet now as you don't want to lose a bunch of weight or have vitamin deficiency because you can't chew very well anymore. Ensure is always good. I have 1-2 a day, even though I am still able to eat.

My mom does too and she was told her tongue doesn't work right because its not allowing her to swallow at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back