Diagnosis
10/1993
Country
CA
State
Alberta
City
Edmonton
Lately, anxiety has become a major factor for me.
If I have to go somewhere, (a mall, movie or even my son's school recitals) I get a panic attack. I keep thinking; "What if I need the washroom and I can't find it?" or "What if I have a coughing/choking fit in the restaurant?" Things like that.
It has gotten to the point that I would rather stay home than go out and enjoy things.
This seemed to creep up on me suddenly. I talked to the Doc about it and perscribed some anti-anxiety drug...I'm not keen on that route.

It's weird. I know in my head that nothing will probably happen and if it does, I'll just deal with it. But I still get that anxious feeling if we plan to go out.

Does anyone else get that? How do you deal with it?

Thanks!

anxiety

Mike
I have always had axiety attacks, my doctor got me on vistrial 50mg. twice daily about 25 years now it works great with no
problems, generic name is Hydroyzine its cheaper.

Davis 07

I'm sitting here waiting for a friend to pick me up to go for lunch and while I wouldn't call it panic I am concerned with bathroom issues enough to think, is it worth it to go out. I still like to get out so for now I go but worry about it. I don't think you are alone Mike. I take Ativan to help with sleep but other than that I just listen to my wife who kicks my butt (figuratively) and get ready to go. Having someone to push you helps I guess. AL.

Mike -

Hi Mike -

I see you were diagnosed in 1993. May I ask how ambulatory you are?

I'm still walking, driving and I get nervous about going into some situations. When I'm out and about, I like to have someone with me, usually my husband or one of my kids, just in case I need some help. And I'm not even talking big stuff - just things like what if a door is too heavy for me to open?, what if I can't get that stupid paper thing they use in restaurants to wrap up napkins off the napkin?, what if one of those gossipy moms at the school decides my situation is "newsworthy"?, what if I trip and fall?, etc.? I expect that down the road this stuff is going to seem like really little but even now I feel much better in public with some moral support and a spare pair of hands in tow.

Fortunately most of the folks I work with are sensitive and help me out graciously when needed. Last week at a staff meeting that I was leading, I managed to trap myself in a three ring binder I was closing and had to be rescued by one of my employees. :oops: I just try to stay near the more understanding folks and away from the few who think I should have retired the day I was diagnosed.

I wonder why this has come upon you so suddenly. I'd guess with 13 years of ALS under your belt, you must have come up with some creative solutions to some awkward predicaments. Is there some change in the supports around you that might have contributed to your recent anxiety?

Hope you rebound soon.

Liz

Lately whenever I am in public I notice the folks who need assistance. I see the person first, then notice the cane, walker, wheelchair, and so forth. If the person looks somewhat healthy, I begin speculating: is this one of us? When did he or she first need that cane or whatever? It is almost like having a new car or being newly pregnant: suddenly you see all the others in the same situation.

So how do those of us manage, I wonder? My main fear is that I have very poor control over my sphincter muscle. This has resulted in major incontinence. Very dramatic and very embarrassing. And hard to plan around.

Well lunch was good and my friend brought another friend of his. They both helped with my walker and it was no big deal for the new guy. He helped get my coat off in the restaurant and I only had 1 coffee so the bathroom issue didn't come up. You know what is a pain though is those little cream and milk containers. Man you almost need dynamite to get into the little buggers. I'd never be able to have coffee on my own with them. Thanks for friends to help with the little things. All in all a good afternoon. Glad I was pushed to go out. AL.

For the men, if you and your caregiver can perfect an application technique, (it takes a little practice to avoid leakage), condom catheters relax a good portion of that anxiety.

Mike

Sounds like it might be fun while she perfects her technique. I remember the good old condom days. I'll have to research this one. Thanks Mike.
AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back