Diagnosis
09/2009
Country
US
State
Georgia
City
Chamblee
My wife who has ALS, complains a lot about her head itching and being cold. I give her Benadryl and pile the covers on. It seems that she does not always have these complaints, but when she does it makes her miserable.

Seems there was a recent thread about this same subject, with lots of good comments. Try doing a search and see if you can find it...

Look at the bottom of this page for some threads. Click on each one.

AL.

Eric itches too and gets so cold sometimes he is shaking. We use Benadryl at night and an electric blanket, which seems to do the trick. I'm not sure of the connection, but it also seems like when his oxygen is low or his breathing is worse, he seems to itch more.

I know it is miserable for her. I hope you find something that will help.

Take care.

A lot of folks find that Gabapentin(Neurontin) helps with the itching. My PALS gets hot and cold all the time too. When cold I throw a blanket in the dryer for a few minutes and then put it over him.

You can buy an electric throw to place on your wife. My husband received one for Christmas and thought it was great. It didn't get as hot as a regular electric blanket, so I think it was safer to use for pALS. He was also given a throw that had a slit in the middle, so it fit around him like a poncho. He used throws because he mostly stayed in his recliner til bedtime.

We also used gabapentin for itching, but Emory would not prescribe it, so we had to go back to his original neuro to get that.

Hmm Bruce's hands are always like ice, and I have an electric throw..if I can find the cord.

When Ray is out of bed, he wears hand mitts, has a small fleece blanket wrapped around each hand/arm, and has a heating pad under each hand. He gets a heating pad under his feet, thick socks and slippers and two blankets wrapped around his legs/lap. Then he has his old man shoulder blanket. There are times that he get so cold to the bone that he shivers off and on for 2 days. On occasion I will throw a stocking cap on him, as the head is a big sourse of heat loss.
Not sure about the itchy head. His her scalp being washed well on a regular basis? Could be shampoo residue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back