Diagnosis
11/2009
Country
US
State
NY
City
Brooklyn
My husband was diagnosed with ALS in November of 2009. He's been in and out of the hospital several times since August. Last time he was admitted was early January with a serious case of pneumonia. Several days after being on four antibiotics, he went into cardiac arrest. He has not regained consciousness since then. Pneumonia is better but still has fever on and off. Has anyone had such an experience or something similar and what was the subsequent outcome?

I don't have experience with this, but I am sorry that your husband is. What a very difficult time for both of you. Prayers for peace and strength.

Sara I am sorry that your husband is going through this. It is very hard for us to offer an informed opinion. The outcome will depend on so many factors that are complex. Hopefully your husband's physician can help you with the answer to your question. I will prayer for a positive outcome. Take care.
Laurel

Sara, my thoughts and prayers are with you both...May the Father give you Peace and comfort and wrap you both in his everloving arms. {{HUG}}}

No experience with anything like this. My thoughts are with you.

I wonder how long was the cardiac arrest, perhaps your spouse is in a coma? I've heard of situations like this but have not experienced one:sad:.

I haven't got any answers but my prayers are with you both.

No experience with this either. Sending you strength and warm thoughts.

Sara, first, I am so sorry that you are sitting in that room.
If your husband's physicians have not shared this information with you, or you have not seen for yourself, my questions would include:
Do the pupils respond to light?
Is there any motor response to pain stimulus? (at any site there is still motor neuron activity).
Are bilateral early cortical SSEPs (somatosensory evoked potentials) present?

If the answer to any of these questions is yes, I would ask for more detail on brain, cardiovascular and pulmonary status. I presume that because of his ALS, hypothermia was not used after his arrest and potential cardiovascular interventions are not being actively pursued?

If all the answers are no, it is unlikely that he will wake up.

You have the right to a prognosis at this stage, and to actively participate in any judgement calls regarding aggressiveness of treatment. I would make that statement and ask the direct question of his docs. If they demur, contact a patient advocate (every hospital has one under various titles) and/or ask to read the chart notes.

God bless you and your family during this difficult time. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

My husband has a great doctor. He checked during the first 72 hours several times for all of the above things you are asking about and accordingly he said that he believes he will not wake up. The neurologist on the hospital staff agreed. At that point I did sign a DNR and I instructed them not to treat him for infections unless if they have a clearly diagnosed infection. Right now he is being treated again for pneumonia. I did not feel comfortable telling them to stop treating him altogether, although maybe at some future point I will do that. Right now the hospital is starting to make plans to discharge him. We are waiting to find out how many hours of nursing care he will get approved for. We have a little adjoining but separate apartment for him.

My husband was diagnosed with ALS in November of 2009. He's been in and out of the hospital several times since August. Last time he was admitted was early January with a serious case of pneumonia. Several days after being on four antibiotics, he went into cardiac arrest. He has not regained consciousness since then. Pneumonia is better but still has fever on and off. Has anyone had such an experience or something similar and what was the subsequent outcome?
Hi Sara, hang in there lots of people here are pulling for your husband. My brother-in-law was rushed to hospital when his lungs stopped working for what was then undiagnosed ALS. He went into cardiac arrest at the hospital and his heart stopped for 20 minutes yet he was revived and spent days in an induced coma state. Now he is awake, a miracle indeed. Maybe it would help if you understand your husband's overall condition by requesting a sit down with your doctor and inquire as to your husbands vital organs and signs eg. heart, lungs, is this an induced coma etc. With ALS we can only find the love for that person each day, don't despair trust whatever happens your husband senses your love and care. I have spent the last 3 months in an ICU unit with my brother-in-law and what I am finding is that ALS does rob them of some sensations others become heightened and the capacity to understand tenderness and love is greater now than before. May peace fill your every moment!

No, this is not an induced coma and its already lasting 6 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back