Broken Shoulder, Infection, Inflamed Abdomen, 7 day Hospitalization and Counting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlabamaGal

Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
AL
City
Dothan
2012 has gotten off to a very difficult start. Not only have we battled a staph infection, but are now dealing with immobilization of Bill's stronger arm, as he suffered a devastating fall, breaking the humeral head of his right shoulder. In addition, he has been in the hospital for several days now, unable to eat and growing weaker. We are hoping this will rebound soon. Unfortunately, it is very difficult, but not impossible for someone with ALS to recover fully from illness and bone breaks. When the muscles weaken, generally, the strength cannot be regained. Overworking muscles to try and regain strength actually speeds up the disease process. It is a delicate balancing act.

The doctors have no idea why my hubby was vomiting partially digested blood. His kidneys shut down for a while; they are now functioning more normally. His bowels went to sleep; they are still sluggish...no real action for days. He is being fed through an NG tube. Tonight we are trying some soup and liquids via mouth, but the tube is still in. We have been in the hospital for 6 full days...during which he has not been able to eat or drink at all.

So worried about him rebounding from this, not to mention the shoulder break.:sad:

I'm very sorry about your husband. I wish I had the proverbial magic wand!

Hope he is able to recover somewhat from this setback! Hang in there!

AlabamaGal, you two have had a a tough few weeks, hoping it will get better for you. As CJ said, hang in there.

Sorry you and hubby are having such a bad time. Hopefully things will turn around for you soon. My prayers are with you.
Beckysuenc

I too hope that your husband rebounds soon. Gosh - familial ALS must be so very hard on all the families involved. So sorry. Yasmin

My thoughts are with you. Please keep us updated. Hoping his bowels wake up and he has a poopy day.:wink::wink:

Thoughts and prayers are with you. Hoping hubby recovers soon.
Linda

Thinking of you and your family and hope things improve today.

Hoping things take a positive turn for you & your husband. Tons of prayers your way. Liz

Hope today brings peace and a little sunshine your way.
Love and light
Meg

I hope your husband is on the mend! Best wishes to you both!

I'm so sorry to hear about his fall and everything else that has kept him in the hospital so long. I really hope he is feeling better.

Take care.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Hope your hubby is feeling some relief by now.

So sorry to hear his news.

You both are in my prayers.

- Jerry

We are home. The first couple of days were scary as he was so, so weak he could not even hold his head up. Sleeping is settling down. I dont foresee him walking on his own again. He is too shaky. I feel strength in his legs, but his balance is not right. His entire right arm is still immobile; they will check it again Feb. 10. I am afraid if he doesn't get to start moving it soon, he will not be able to. It was his good arm. Now, he is pretty much 100 percent dependent on me.....this is hard on him and me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back