Diagnosis
07/2010
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Wallaceburg
Yesterday mom fell straight back from a standing position. She went back like a log and hit her head hard. We sent her by ambulance to the hospital. Nothing is broken but she has changed so much. She is not able to walk now. She has major muscle cramping on her legs, feet and butt. The only thing that seems to help is to give her 10mg of vallium. It is keeping her pretty out of it but at least she is not in pain.This als has been a rough road for us. We had a cathater put in as she is not able to transfer. Her decline lately has been quick. Yesterday she was walking around with her walker and today shecant move. Breathing is still declining. Does anyone know if a trama like this will actually speed up progression?

Hi Angela,
I'm so sorry to hear about your mom's fall. Sounds pretty scary. I'm not sure if a trauma could cause the progression to speed up. I do know that whenever my husband has gotten sick with a virus or pneumonia he seemed weaker and could not regain his strength. I hope she feels better and is able to regain her ability to walk even if it is for short distances.

Take care.

Thanks for the warm wishes Pam. We are all keeping our fingers crossed.

Sending good thoughts your way. I don't know too much about progression. Hang in there Babe!

Angela, I really don't know. That question is like which comes first the chicken or the egg... The progression could have sped up before hand and then she fell. All I know is, the more trauma my husband has had, the faster he seemed to decline. But, that could have happened anyway, I suppose. We just have to deal with it! I'm very sorry...

Angela, sorry to hear of your Mom's fall, that was pretty scary... I can't say anything about the progression after trauma question, but would imagine that with a head injury it may take some days before you would know for sure if it's temporary or more permanent. Hopefully she'll be able to come out of it soon.

Falling is very scary and, as you experienced, unexpected. I can not say whether it would speed up progression, but I have noted that any sickness or trauma can set PALS back. Someone told me of a man that had als and refused to use a walker or cane. Falls killed him not als.

I know from caregiving with my mom during alzheimer's that an illness will make that one get worse. i can only assume it would in our case too since they're both neuro diseases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back