Diagnosis
06/2011
Country
US
State
FL
City
West Palm beach
I have been scrapbooking for years. I love it. My main subject has been my son. He is a freshman in college. My issue is that I have so much of his high school years to catch up on & that maybe I don't have enough 'time' left to complete it all. My hands get tired & cramped from doing 1 page. It's hard to use a scizzor & even use the little sticker labels. Any suggestions or tricks anyone has to make it easier? Even going thru a pile of pictures or papers is exhausting on my shoulders & hands. I gave up on journaling cuz my handwriting is awful!

I don't want to leave piles of unfinished work behind...

Oh girl, I've been in the same boat for over a year now! In fact, I caught up on a years' worth of stuff during the summer, and stopped just shy of doing my son's 4th bday party. Well, his 5th bday party is in two weeks! So now another year behind! I've found the only way I can really do stuff on my own is to go with a clean-cut look. I use the straight line cutter for all cuts (which is a shame with all those fancy scissors and stuff I have). I double mat the pics in two different colors to make them look a little more special. I use a lot of ribbon (I run in through the Xyron sticker maker and it leaves the perfect amount of adhesive and I can get them where I want relatively easily). And of course lots of stickers. I try to buy stickers that can be layered or grouped so it looks like I did something neat (a combination solid backed and color edged mixed with velum and no edge stickers really can do some neat things). I can't really use the "tools" anymore or any of the punches. I even got the ProvoCraft Silent Setter thinking it would be easier to do the holes, gromets, and brads and things, but it's too much twisting and pushing, which is nearly as bad as the hammering. I do miss punching and stitching the paper as well (I think there is a machine that does that now? Not sure). The only way I've been journaling is to type it up and print it out (my handwriting is pretty crappy too). For headings, I use letter stickers. Those used to seem like a real waste since you always end up with tons that you don't use. So I started buying all kinds of letter styles and sizes in black and white only. Then when you mix and match the different types, it looks really good. It also helps that I have my own photo printer so I can print the photo to the size I want and not have to deal with trying to use a light box and template to trim them down. Several people have tried to talk me into digital scrapbooking, but no thanks... there's nothing like the real deal! And I sure do miss doing it all the time!

My daughter does hers on line, if your pictures are downloaded, you make your page how you want it, and they mail it to you.

Go to online scrapbooking, their are several of them, you can still lay the picture out like you want it..:)

Blurbs.com. You can write a book or create a scrapbook. When you're finished they'll create the book for $30.00 and mail it to you.

I've been scrapbooking for years and now have more time to do it. My upper extremities are not effected, thank G_d. But my motivation has changed. I am scrapbooking so that when I can't do anything, my family can look at the books and relate stories to me.t used to be a joke that I had much supplies I would die before I put a dent in them. Now it sort of bothers me that it will be true. I am scrapbooking my heart out.

forgot to add...Keep layouts simple, do them as you can. Ask a family member to put together a 'kit" out of your supplies. Use precuts and readymade embellishments. I find using different papers on the background eliminates the need for embellishing. I also advise tearing. Looks good and is easy to do.

I have tried the online scrapbooks - had one done for my Moms 80th b'day, but it's not same. I love doing it & using my own ideas. I'll take your advice & keep it simple. Figure I'll do as much as I can each sitting, with one goal in mind... get it done while I'm still here to do it. This disease sucks, but honestly the worst part is how it affects my arms & hands. But, we must focus on the positive, right? Tomorrow I will attempt to get a page done.

I would take it easy I have learned the more you use it the faster it goes so do what you can to save your strength from an ALS patient.

Dollyvet - do you really think that? I was thinking I'd better keep using it or else it will just gp. I try to use the muscles & strength I still have, if I'm tired, I know when to stop. Am I crazy to think that?

I'm a scrapbooker too. hands and fingers move, but can't cut or write clearly... This upsetted me since I have years of pixs not scrapbooked. Use to go to scrapbook night. As a surprise the whole group I scraped with, with the help of my daughter-in-law came to my house...used my mountain of supplies..and scrapped many pages for me. All I had to do was tell them what and who the pix was, and they did it for me. We had a blast... now if only they come back a couple dozen more times.

This is one of my priorities - to get my daghter's book made as soon as possible. We homeschooled for 12 years and I have tons of pictures plus a box of mementos for each school year. This was to be my retirement project - so I could do it on a leisurely basis. So, the plan now is for my childhood best friend, who is very creative, to come and help me with it. My left hand is poor, means I can't hold anything to cut it. (You should see me clip coupons! lol). jb63 - I have lots of the paper and all the little decorations, too!

Susan,

I have a craft room. Used to be my livingroom. It is my retirement activity. When I say I have supplies, I am not exaggerating, more paper than most stores, cabinets full of things. Fortuately I am organized so I can direct my husband to bring the bins I need. I have friends that want to start and I am thinking this is a good way to use supplies and plan for when it becomes difficult for me. I can teach and still enjoy the process. This past week I did my wedding pictures. I am married 40 yrs, never had a fancy album, only the proofs in a small photo holder. A friend made me a table that is wheel chair heigth and not to wide so I can reach everything. I use it for scapping and cooking. It reduces the workload of a regular table where I have to put my arms up and work my shoulders too much.

I have a table set up in an extra bedroom & have been able to organize all I need to do in bins. Each time I want to start a new year or project my husband gets the bin for me & together we sort thru the papers & assorted other things I'lll need. He's very helpful too. I just have to be patient with myself & careful. Once I went to lift a scrapbook up off the table & whoa.. went flying backwards. Just lost my balance & couldn't stop myself from falling.

ib63 - I grew up on Long Island. Went to Lynbrook High & Hofstra. Where are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back