Diagnosis
05/2011
Country
US
State
Tennessee
City
Winchester
My diagnosis was in May 2011. Mine started with weakening in both knees and right foot drop. My walking now is atrocious with the only use I really have my leg is pivoting to have my caregiver transferred me. I can't use either of my hands. My question is: anyone out there have swelling of the feet or hands? Also, I have a lightheaded feeling when I stand and sometimes a feeling of pressure in my forhead. (Sorry my voice recognition program has a mind of its own) sometimes I feel like I'm going nuts. Any input? Can't seem to get the swelling to go away or reduce.

Hi Ladyrider,

My wife Annie's symptoms started with drop foot and then worked up her legs. Her feet swelled, and were usually discolored due to pooling of blood. Contraction of the lower leg muscles assists returning blood to the heart. When those muscles are unable to contract fluid tends to accumulate in the feet and ankles due to gravity. It helped her a great deal to elevate her legs, though it's hard to stay that way and still try to do a lot of stuff. I think your light headedness is probably caused by the same thing. With the legs unable to assist pumping blood from the lower extremities the blood pressure in the head tends to drop momentarily when standing. This happens even in some normally health people.

Bob had trouble with swollen feet/legs too. Try to keep them elevated and if somebody can, just rotate them and massage them. Bob wore pressure socks during the day which really helped. They're available at medical supply stores. If you have insurance, they will cover the cost if you have a prescription and a receipt with your name on it versus a cash register receipt. You're doing a great job with your voice recognition program! Yasmin.

ROM exercises a couple of times a day to the feet and limbs may help with the swelling.

ladyrider, I also started with footdrop in my left foot and weakening legs... my left food is usually purple and a bit swollen, and I do a couple of things as the others have said: I try to elevate my foot as much as possible, and I also use the compression socks. It's always really cold as well, and use my Ugg-like boots all day long. (Phil, that was a tip from Annie!). If you can move any part of your egs/feet you should try to keep moving them back and forth during the day, just to keep the blood flowing.

Welcome to our forum, and if you'd like to join us for a light moment, come over and join us at the Come for Tea thread.

Thanks for all the input. ugg boots? I ordered two pair boots online and when I got them I realized I could not get my foot down through the top of the boot. My husband said I should have gotten some with spaced zippers in the side but I could not find any. The only pair of shoes I can't get my foot into our my ASICS tennis shoes. I would really like to go to church but don't feel comfortable wearing tennis shoes. Any suggestions.

Annie got a pair of Uggs with a button closure on one side.

I did work out a way of finessing her feet into her other pair (no side opening). It was important for her feet to be really dry or they would stick to the lining when I was trying to get them on her.

Lady,

I understand you feel uncomfortable wearing tennis shoes, but I don't think GOD has a problem with it.

Kimberly

My mom's feet have been extremely swollen pretty much her entire illness. It's called Edema.

I was always one to prefer style to comfort. So giving away my shoes and going into sneakers was never in my plan. However, safety and comfort was became a priority. Sneakers and braces in my wheel chair ....well I got over it. I would look for black or colored sneakers to help make you feel less self conscious. I am sure the people in your church would hardly be judgemental and the Lord certainly does not mind. Try to color coordinate or like I do wear whimsical socks.

I do understand where you are coming from. We associate sneakers with our Sunday best as a sign illness or infirmity, like an ashen pale chemo person in a healthy shiney wig. As bad as it gets, there are times we would just like to not have that reminder so we can enjoy the day.

Do you go to church in your chair? You might try a pair of nice leather open-back clogs or better, ones that have only a small lip at the back to stabilize your heel. You may have to try several pair or even get them a half size larger. I always look for a large toe box. I have a pair for winter in suede with a fuzzy lining that I wear around the house in the PWC. They're heavy enough (and have a rubber sole) to keep my R foot on the foot plate without it "wandering off" as it does with a slipper. There are also some leather mary janes out there with a leather and velcro strap closure. Propet makes some with a deeper bed and larger toe box that readily accommodate an AFO. I've seen them in black, navy and brown. I was never a sneaker fan and avoid them now 'cause they're difficult for me to put on by myself.

My knock-off "Uggs" are actually the "SO" brand... if you can get the boots in wide and a little bigger (which also helps accomodate your foot when it does swell) it will help. I think Kohls sells SO. The toe box is the most important after getting your foot through the ankle area.

Another shoe I use are the black New Balance sneakers that have straps, I get them wider both for the above reason and to fit my leg brace when I do wear it. I find some deals on these at jcpenney.

Annie told me about the other was that she wore so I'd look through them and found a similar player in the foot Smart catalog. They come in all different colors and are working out well for me.

I was never a shoe aholic :) but now I seem to enjoy the colorful shoes and bright socks. I have some Mary Jane shoes that I wear for dress-up. I think I have one in just about every color.

Annie told me about the Uggs that she wore so I looked for them and found a similar pair in the foot Smart catalog. They come in all different colors and are working out well for me.

I was never a shoe aholic :) but now I seem to enjoy the colorful shoes and bright socks. I have some Mary Jane shoes with a Velcro strap that I wear for dress-up. I think I have one in just about every color!

Duplicate posts -- I guess I didn't do the editing fast enough. Darn darn darn --

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back