Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
OK
City
Western
Hello, I have stumbled upon this forum search for answers that I don't know if you'll be able to help me with or not. I have a very close loved one who was diagnosed with ALS five months ago. We were told that the onset is bulbar and to expect a good year. My loved one is in herod seventies and up until about a year ago lead a very active life. This has since declined. She does not wish to have a feeding tube or to be kept alive with any machines. She has used a walker for the past 6 months and now only gets up to go to the restroom or for a very short time to go to the kitchen. She has been choking while she eats for the last several months, but continues to have an appetite. She also has excess salvia now.

On to my question. At her last doctors appointment (I was unable to attend) her doctor told the family that in the next few months she would go to sleep and not wake up. Just simply go to sleep. She questioned the doctor on if it was like she suffocated, had a heart attack, etc. He assured her it was none of them. Is it simply this peaceful for the PALS? What should I expect? I know you can't put a time on life but a few months? That seems so vague. The doctor now has hospice coming over... What symptoms do we look for that the end is near.

Thank you for any help you can give. My PALS has said that she is at peace with what's going to happen... Only wish I was that strong.

Hope,

A similiar question was posed in the thread titled
tag.png
My young spouse has ALS, whats next? I'd suggest you read through that thread.

Several of us posted our experiences with the death of our pals there. My wife made the same choice of not using interventional technology as your loved one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back