Diagnosis
12/2011
Country
US
State
NY
City
Long Island
:twisted:My wheel chair does not fit through my bathroom doorways so I use a commode at home. Most times my lewgs will allow me to transerfer. If I go to a handicapped toilet, I bring a seat that fits over the toilet and raises me up. So far so good, but when I am at my friends house due to my leg weakness, the bathroom in inacessable. Some of my friends are building a ramp so I can come and visit and I also have a portable ramp. All nice, but I can't visit until I figure out how to hand the pee problem. Should I bring a bedpan and use it in a room my chair can fit thru? Is their a female version of the stadium or Texas Catheters men use? Do I have to resort to adult diapers? Any suggestions?

It's wonderful that your friends are building a ramp for you!

I had trouble with the bathroom at my daughter's house over the holidays. One of my girls had to literally lift me off of the toilet (I use a bedside commode over our regular toilet at home) I may try the take-along bedpan next time because the bathroom was so cramped, my daughter played contortionist helping me out.

When you get it figured out let us know. My CAL is amazed at what passes for a handicapped bathroom in some of the places we go. I'm not ready to go the diaper route yet either. Can you take a photo of your "seat" that you take with you and share with us?

It is just a raised toilet seat made of plastic that sits in the rim after you left up the seat of the toilet. It has a rim that fits inside the bowl. It raised me about 6 inches higher than the regular seat. I bought it for 10 bucks in a med supply store. You can buy heavier ones for 70, but this one works fine and keeps me from having to do the limbo to get off a regular toilet in a so called handicap stall. I am not good at deep knee bends. I will try to get a picture of it uploaded.

My "lifters" are just about gone and I really HAVE to have that extra height. I think I know the piece you're talking about. Do you have a special backpack or bag that you haul it around in on your chair?

I'm in the same pickle with the toilet situation... I've been invite to a couple of places that I declined privately due to the toilet issue, really don't like bringing my own potty seat, though mine does have handles.

I also have an issue with my downstairs bathroom, which is 3 steps down (yes down!) from the 1st floor. Having trouble getting back up the steps, especially at night. I can crawl up the steps, but then I have to then get help to get off the floor onto my scooter. Really don't like putting the kids through that. My Mom brought over an over the toilet commode for my room in case at night I need to go, as everyone else is on the second floor still. Haven't used it yet. :(

I'm thinking a nice little crane in my doorway to get me up the steps... you know just swing me up those steps! I saw a porta a lift thingie on a website the other day, you can use it in the house, or mount it in the car, etc. Has anyone ever used one of these?

I sure could have used a porta-lift when trying to get into the front seat of the Truckcedo (Ford F150) over the Holidays. I can't help much except with my arms. My R foot doesn't step at all and my L isn't steppin' too high theses days either. Once I had assistance with the first step on the running board my "lifters" refused to take me higher. I got a severe case of the giggles when my family was trying to hoist me into the high vehicle. It surely was a comical sight!

Helen, ki hace a hoyer lift. Its not elevtric likr the ones tkey hace in the nursiong home, but hydrauloc. Lindsau praxticed om the youmger kids. We aek rentimg it froma med supplu place. Will ne kours in 9 mos. I will see if limdsay wilktake pick of it.

Or hace you thoughr of a ramp for thise stepks? (That was for helen)

Jb what womderful fkriends! Haveyou thought kof a smalker chair?

And dkeb, im goingkto ksteal your word, "lifteres"! I like it better than losing your stomacg musclkes.

Last edited:
Hi Kimberly, I thought of a lift like that, but not sure if I want that yet... I think I'm just going to order a couple of grab bars to install for now, but I didn't want to do that with the house still on the market. I'll have to find the page that I filed off the other day.

I think you can take the outside hubs of the wheelchair off, that's what my Mom did for my stepdad's... and his is the extra wide version!

I keep it in a shopping tote bag in the trunk of my car. When needed we just casually carry the shooping bag in.

I am looking into a small wheelchair, but the problem is small halls and doorways. Using a Polyfly now, can't use the big wheels tho too wide, but the chair cames apart which is good.

To get into my old for which unfortunately has upholstered bucket seats and therefor no leverage, I use a polished formica boards. I get a small piece of my tushy on it and just slide ine and out onto the wheelchair. My husband is going to cut a piece of carpet to aid in sliding. Thats how we move funiture on a non carpeted floor.

Oh jb63, I have this funny picture of a store security guard wanting to know what's in your shopping bag!

We are remodeling my bathroom. I've just been in this house since May (waaay pre-diag) and the master bath is nice and open. It had a jacuzzi that we've rem,oved in favor of a roll-in shower. The biggest change is that the toilet was in a little room of its own that was 32" wide. You practically had to be a contortionist just to get the door closed. We've removed its walls and widened he door frpm the bedroom into the bathroom (2-36" bi-fold doors) so that I'll have a clear path when I need it. It won't be as private, but I can tell already that I like it much better.

I can't imagine 3 steps to the bathroom!

For the F-150, my dh drives a 4wd Expedition that I can barely climb into. When I get out, he comes around and I hold on to the back of his shoulders with my good right arm before I slither out. Maybe you can try that and see if it works for you too!

Momap 53 - I'm glad someone else laughs too! It is just so ridiculous sometimes that I have to laugh.

I WHACKED OUT THE DOOR SILL AND PART OF THE WALL WITH A SLEDGEHAMMER.

Just a thought.

(Not pretty but it worked. We put up a curtain for privacy.

There is a famale like urinal, my mom used during back surgery, I will find out where she got it, i am pretty sure it was a one of those magazines that sell medical equipment. Very easy to use, like the mens verison but with a catch spout thing on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back