Diagnosis
02/2011
Country
US
State
GA
City
Gwinnett
I wanted to ask if anyone had tried this to aid in breathing. My husband swears that he can breathe and sleep better when the fan is going. We have his bi-pap that he will wear at night but not all the time and not for long periods when I do strap it on him. We are trying to get a nasal pillow that he could use when he wants to watch tv or use the computer since he can't wear his glasses when he wears the full face mask.

Last night was more throwing up and coughing and the bi-pap seemed to help calm the cough reflex.

Re: Use of ocillating fan to help him breathe

Yes, we used an oscillating fan. BUT...
After some experience, we ended up positioning the fan behind the PALS, and about 6-8 feet away. Only the very slightest of imperceptible air movement is needed, to remove stale air and give fresh air. Anything more led to drying out mouth and eyes. Also, since my PALS was isn't moving and wasn't eating much, she didn't generate much body heat, so even a small breeze was too chilling.

We tried 3-4 different masks and two canulla before finding the most comfortable fit. Even then, she decided to use oxygen only one of two hours daily. I had to keep close watch, because she experienced several "near panics" while wearing the masks, for various reasons: drying out, too wet, condensate blocking hose, or hose crimped. We ended up routing the hose up from the moisture cannister to the ceiling and down to her, so that any condensation would roll back into the machine and not clog the hose.

For some reason, the nurses wanted to put the hose neatly under the covers. I always put the hose in plain sight.

Re: Use of ocillating fan to help him breathe

Thanks... good idea about elevating the hose... had not thought about that....you remain a wealth of info...when is the book coming out?
PSYCH!

Seriously, I think you should put together a guide of tips and hints that worked (or didn't work) for you during your wife's progression... I know that I am looking at this site all the time, but the people who will ultimately have to take care of me are not... so I've been copying files over to a folder in case I need to have them look at it.

Maybe we could start compiling it from this website (assuming we get permission of course!)

I second that.... oops can I second what I originally suggested? Might be time to go to bed. Love seeing your green light on, SusanF.
G.

Just one note about hose placement, the reason many tuck the hose under the covers is to keep the air warmer, and also to insulate it from the cooler air in the room. It helps avoid 'rain-out' in the hose. There are hose insulators you can buy. check on line cpap suppliers, or, even make one. I made my first, purchased a second. It makes a big difference, I get no dripping.

I hope things get easier for him, and for you. You've had so many extra challenges along the way!

I wouldn't presume one way or the other about needing the hose undercover. We've done it different ways over the decades depending on climate, preference and bedroom setup. Condensation has really never been an issue; we do keep the heat set at 70 during winter now but also Larry uses a heated mattress cover. On the other hand, his head backs up to a pretty cold (north) window. I suspect some of the condensation issues have more to do with a long hose path, the wrong height or some other physics consideration -- these are changes to try if that's a problem. You can also play with the humidifier heat setting, but his is usually at max.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back