7/1999
Country
US
State
newjersey
City
lopatcong NJ
hey guys
Do any of you have a problem with a itchy head and what do you do for it other than itch it

thanks any happy holidays

lol...my pals complains of it daily. I think its the lack of a shower...
We just scratch it for him and use dandruff shampoo when washing.

Our home health aide switched Glen to a dandruff shampoo and it helped a lot

theyve got different types of dandruff shampoo. soothing itch control, aloe.... etc etc. even the off brand stuff works for us.

nope I Shower every other day and tried head and shoulders itchy scalp .nothing works

Patricia have you tried aloe vera gel? Buy some at Walmart, massage it into your scalp, leave on for a few minutes and then rinse. Usually really helps with an itchy scalp.
Laurel

For immediate relief, ask your doctor if you can take an antihistamine pill like Zyrtec. Also use antiprutic (anti-itch) creams like Lanacaine, which contains Benzocaine.

Now for the cure, we need to know the cause.
Itchy scalp can be any number of totally different things with different treatments.
Dry Skin from too drinking too little water. Lice from a grandchild. Acne from bacteria. Mold from leaving hair damp after washing.
For Fungus or Yeast: Get the shampoo form of Ketoconazole by prescription. Or Nizoral tablets.
Dry well, comb a lot to spread oils around.

<Previous post lost to moderation>

There are many different causes of itchy scalp that require different treatments.

But first, let's treat the symptom:
-- Ask your doctor if you can take an antihistamine such as Zyrtec. Also, apply a topical antipruritic (anti-itch) such as Lanacaine, which contains Benzocaine.

Now, cure the cause:
-- Mold, from leaving the hair damp after washing. Wash in tepid (not hot) water, because hot water antagonizes nerve endings. Dry thoroughly and comb often to spread natural oils. Resist temptation to scratch while combing by having someone comb the hair.
-- Fungus such as yeast. Use the shampoo form of Ketoconazole at prescription strength.
-- Bacteria, looks like acne. Use a shampoo containing Zinc pyrithione.
-- Dry skin from too little water intake. Use moisturizer.
-- Lice from a visiting child. Look for tiny (nearly microscopic) bugs attached to the hair very close to the scalp. Kill for 3 days with permethrin in NIX, which is OTC. The best discussion is at Head lice - PubMed Health.

if you're showering daily you might try not washing your hair every time.. you could be drying your scalp out. And try a good moisturizing conditioner.. again.. leave it on for a while before rinsing.

Tea Tree shampoo is also very helpful for itchy scalp...

I have no medical basis for this opinion, but I did notice that one thing my husband did frequently after his neurological symptoms appeared was to scratch his head. He would run his fingers over his scalp and then flick his hand. When asked about it, he would say that it felt like something was on his head - crawling or something. I had not seen this behavior before the ALS. Just interesting thought.

Tea tree oil shampoo helps me somewhat, as does vigorous shampooing. My problem started way back when my first signs of weakness appeared.

Head and shoulders make a shampoo that comes in a dark blue bottle. It's great.

Benadryl (orally), Ketoconozole shampoo and zinc soap did the trick for my husband. It took all three.

Something else to consider. Seeing as it is winter time your heat is probably running a lot. Purchase a portable humidifier, so you keep it in the room you spend the most time in during the day and your bedroom at night. It will put moisture in the air which could help prevent your skin from becoming so dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back