Diagnosis
08/2011
Country
CA
State
Alberta
City
Red Deer
My father gets a very very runny nose whenever he eats, consequently he is eating less and less as this really makes him mad. He has been prescribed Amitriptyline to dry it up his nose (he does not have excess saliva issues yet) and at the same time his muscle cramps have increased and he can not seem to stay awake? Anyone have any ideas or thoughts around this?

I take Claritin OTC for runny nose. Works well.

AL.

Thanks AL. Do you think it would dry his nose out too much for the rest of the time that he is not eating?

It shouldn't be a problem unless he's unusually dry to start with.

AL.

I use a couple of atropine drops (liquid) under my tongue about 20-30 minutes before the meal to prevent the nasal flood without drying me out the rest of the day. The peak action of the atropine occurs about a half-hour after dosing and lasts about an hour before it begins to taper off.

Are they prescription or OTC TR?

hi,i am back on amitriptyline after stopping it about 3-4yrs ago.
in high doses its used to treat depression but they use it in lower doses to suppress the cns for instance for long term pain caused by cns desease.............never heard it used for a runny nose.
maybe he needs a different type of medication.
looked up runny nose for you and came up with this Rhinorrhea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My Mom also uses atropine drops. They work very well.

We used the amitryptyline for the saliva issues and cyclobenzaprine at bedtime for muscle cramping. Both were Rx meds. If Claritin OTC dries his nose out a bit much. Pick up a bottle of OTC Ocean Nasal spray (or store brand of it). This worked for my sister. Good luck in finding something that works for you all that does not put them in "la la land".

La La land can be good. Tylenol sinus works well. You can break them in half so you don't dry out too much. La La Land and spacing out are a couple of my favorite places.

I have noticed that my nose is always congested is this a symptom of ALS/PLS/PMA ?

I never associated them

I have noticed that my nose is always congested is this a symptom of ALS/PLS/PMA ?

I never associated them

No, nasal congestion not a symptom of ALS or any other MND, so you shouldn't associate them. See your primary care physician to see what's causing your congestion -- likely dry air, a cold, or allergies.

The problem we are discussing here is a problem for some PALS when they eat and sometimes when they defecate. The parasympathetic nervous system, which controls the manufacture of mucus in mucus membranes, such as the digestive and respiratory tracts, sometimes goes into overdrive when the digestive tract is stimulated by eating or defecation. This results in large amounts of mucus also being produced in the respiratory tract, where it's not needed.

Anti-diarrheal drugs like Imodium and Lomotil can relieve the problem, with the risk of constipation. My hospice nurse recommended atropine drops when the constipation became a problem.

It's quite unpleasant to have to deal with for those of us who have it.

I take Claritin OTC for runny nose. Works well.

AL.
Al just to clarify do you have a runny nose all the time or just around eatting?

My Mom also uses atropine drops. They work very well.
Does you mother have a runny nose all the time or just around meal times? I am cautious about drying him out too much and amitriptyline made him sleep all day so i want to avoid too dry and "la la land" as previously said!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back