08/2011
Country
US
State
nebraska
City
omaha
Hi Everyone,
Taking a trip to Florida we leave on Tuesday I'm a little worried about going to the parks.
Although I'm still in pretty good shape I do get tired if I walk alot. I looked at Universal to see if they had wheel chairs for rent and they do but also have electric scooters. I'm leaning twords the scooter but in my mind I think Im just being lazy and what would people think I drive up get off the scooter and walk with nothing more than a limp. but on the other hand who cares what they think they don't know what walking too much could do to me? the scooter is ok right?
Mike

For sure the scooter or wheelchair, though the scooter may make you feel better. If you walk everywhere it is going to take all your energy and probley make your whole body tired, what little energy you have. Use the scooter as much as you can, people will not even look twice in this day and age. It might help with lines long lines too. People don't judge , they don't know what is wrong.
Use the scooter as much as possible, if not it could ruin your trip, save your energy for when you do have to walk around, I used to tell my mom,(just hard headed, had lots of back surgeries no ALS) use the scooter from the paiking lot, get to where we are going, then you have energy to walk around.i Maybe take a bike lock with you to lock it up when you are not using it at the park. Take advantage of it. Line it up just in case.

Mike,
Fatigue seems to be an integral part of ALS. Take the word lazy out of your vocabulary immediately! It no longer applies to you.
USE the scooter or the wheelchair. The goal is to enjoy the trip and you won't if you're literally "wiped out"from trying to do this on two legs. If anybody gives you a hard time (which I doubt will happen) use it as an opportunity to promote ALS Awareness.
Have a ball!

Put pride on the back burner and use whatever is available to make it easy on yourself. This was very hard for me at first, but anything to help save energy became the norm. Let people look, most people will be very helpful and may even let you cut in line. Have a lot of fun just don't run over any toes.

Mike, get the scooter. Have a great time!

When we go we rent a scooter for my dad from an outside company. The deliver to the hotel and it it half the price the Parks charge you. I'll pm you the phone numbers

Susan is right. Rent the scooter by the week it's MUCH cheaper. And yes, get the scooter. Don't worry about what people think. You're gonna have to get over that feeling sooner or later.

Disney World is the most accessible location on the planet. Have a great time!

-Tom

The scooter is the way to go. Don't worry about what other people think! Enjoy yourself!

Use the scooter. Save your energy for the important things.

AL.

People don't know if you have a heart condition, COPD, or anything else. No one is going to stand around and wonder why you're using a scooter, they're too busy thinking about themselves.

Have a great time!

Scooter is the way to go--an so many people use them now for so many different things NO ONe is going to even think twice about you on one. And really--who cares? they don't know you!Have fun making memories with your family!

Get over the "what will people think" attitude! ;) Do what is necessary to enjoy the time with your family or it will be a wasted trip!

Believe me, you'll have time down the road for the real curious "lookers." That's when you invest in those special t-shirts with a certain message.

Have loads of FUN! :)

There are also places down there that you can rent scooters/wheelchairs from and have access to at all times other than at the park. The ones at the parks are first come, first serve and no guarantee you get one. So, when we went this year we rented one and used the disney buses to get back and forth.
Amber

Check your messages. I left the numbers of the scooter rentals we have used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back