Diagnosis
7/2008
Country
US
State
Maryland
City
Anytown
Yesterday my old PEG was changed out for a mini-button! I love it 8)

What shows out the outside of my body is only about 1/4" wide x 1" long. It hardly sticks out at all. No tube is in it. To use it, I insert the tube into it, and then remove the tube after I'm done. Even the tube itself looks better, its a crystal clear plastic, instead of that whiteish type, and the adapter at the end is a pretty (non medicinal looking) clear lavender. After using it, its simple to rinse with running water.

I'm still getting the knack of hooking myself up, thank goodness my placement is almost exactly midline on my body, or I'd never be able to see what I was doing to insert and secure tube for feedings.

After I heal up well (still bleeding some) I may even post a photo. We have great hopes that this will work better for me and the battle I've had with granulation tissue.

Here is a line drawing of it. Keep in mind that the drawing shows it open for use. You can see how unobtrusive it would be when closed.

Attachments

• mini button.jpg
    mini button.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 500
Last edited:
Excellent Rose! I'll get a peg one of these days and will ask about a button. Thanks for your post! :)

Rose. When you say granulation. Do you mean that white stuff and what looks like a scab around the hole in your tummy. Between the. Tube wide thing and my skin. I have that and clean it every day. I love my tube and am a little scared of. Replacing it. Thank you for posting. Would love a pic as well. Keep me updated. Thank you. Hugs
Felica

Hey, congrats on your new tube!

How much discomfort (haha, "pain") was there when they yanked the old one out? C'mon, be honest...

There's no place to clamp the tube now. How do you keep stuff from gushing out when you un-cork it?

Haha, I look forward to the photo!

-Tom

The picture looks like a Mic-key button... but that's only from comparing a few pictures on the web. Is that what you have, or is it actually called a mini button (and something is different than a Mic-key)?
Did you have any thoughts on what you got versus a bard button?

Thanks for always sharing your experiences!

Brian

Tried to post my congratulations but it went to moderation so CONGRATULATIONS ROSE! It's cute!

I've had mine for 6 months now. It took less than five minutes for doc to change it after 3 months. I think that I will change it myself next time. No pain at all. Kimberly Clark (maker) recommends changing every 3 to 4 months. Don't know why, but I had to get it when I got my pacer.

Okay, in order of questions here:

Yes, granulation tissue weeps, its lumpy looking, and it bleeds really easily. For me it seemed to rise up out of nowhere, one day I'd think it was licked, or at least getting better from treatment, and then the very next day it would be back even worse. So far the best results I've had is from the cream that was by prescription. The generic name is triamcinolone acetonide at a strength of .1%. The brand name is kenalog. One of my earlier threads had a link to a site that had great (graphic) photos of granulation tissue.

As for discomfort—none—as I had anesthesia again. My old tube had a bumper rather than balloon and could not be pulled through the abdomen, it had to come back out the same way it was placed (through mouth and down esophagus). One of the reasons we did the exchange now was the need to get it out of the way sooner rather than later because of breathing issues in relation to anesthesia. Just as last time, this time it was done with me sitting almost completely upright. They knocked me out with propofol (the one Michael Jackson used to go to sleep) The procedure was very quick, I was back in recovery in less than 15 minutes. I probably wasn't under for even 10. I had no breathing problems at all. This new PEG has the balloon, and I will not need anesthesia in the future to change it out.

I felt kind of a stinging sensation the first couple of times I used it, but there has not been enough discomfort to even warrant taking advil.

It doesn't need a clamp, the closest analogy is its like the inflation valve on a vehicle tire (from what I can figure out). The tube itself has a clamp though.

It may be that its the same as the mic-key button, but a different brand. Mine is made by Boston Scientific, and its called a mini-button. But, I agree, it looks like photos of a mic-key. I think the bard button doesn't have the balloon? (?) So, that would mean anesthesia to change out. It seems like that is what I read back when I was researching the different types. I guess all of them have their pluses and minuses.

BTW, I do not think that this is generally a first PEG tube. Its like one gets to graduate up to it after healing from the first very basic style. Don't know why. Aesthetically it is much much better though. It honestly isn't that much bigger than some people have for naval piercings ha-ha. I had on a fairly fitted top today, and it was barely noticeable under my shirt.

Dexterity-wise, if its the PALS doing their own feedings, the regular type PEG is easier, but, if fine motor is not much of an issue, or it is the caregiver handling the feedings, then this type is not difficult to use at all. Not having that darned tube sticking out and moving around is so nice. BUT the type I started out with, that most one this forum have, is also much better than no tube at all. Really. And this is coming from someone who had very bad luck in the beginning with recovery from surgery. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, and should have done it many months sooner than I did.

I'm so psyched, decided to go ahead and post photos, even though my tummy is not looking great yet. I'm kind of surprised that its still bleeding, but then, maybe I shouldn't be, considering its 'me' lol.

If you are put off by crusty blood, or bare bellies, don't look. I wanted to include my belly button in the photo so you all could have an idea of how small this new PEG really is 8)

Attachments

• new peg.jpg
    new peg.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 9,177
  • new tube for peg.jpg
    new tube for peg.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 1,840
Last edited:
Cute belly button that you have there Diane! I hope the mini-button works out well. Hubby got a porta cath called a "power port". I called it porta potty and now hubby is cursing me as he can't get that name out of his and is calling it porta potty too <LOL>.
Laurel

Rose it looks great. Congratulations.

Awesome Diane! Love that you're willing to share photos! Certainly takes alot of the mystery and fear away. So glad the anesthesia went well too. Have a happy and granulation free healing!

Wow Rose did you r doctor suggest you get this because of the granulation, or was it time to have your changed. The longer tubes can be a pain in the rear:0

Joni, My doctor had said from the very beginning that the plan was to change it out at about the three month mark. It was about a week shy of that. He wanted to go ahead with it a little bit early because of my breathing/anesthesia. He said it should help prevent the granulation tissue from continuing to form, but, even if I'd not had a problem with this, the plan was to move on to this style.

You know, they say that this area of the body is always trying to repair itself, if the tube gets accidentally pulled out, you're supposed to stick it right back in before you go to a radiology or ER. (cut off the end if necessary so it can be placed back through the stoma) Both my doctor, and the ostomy nurse emphasized how quickly the hole will close. I think that's why some of us have the granulation issues, if the peg is constantly moving around and its keeping that area irritated, the body is going to continue trying to fix things by filling in the hole. Right now while I'm still getting accustomed to using it, the port is getting manhandled a good bit, but, even today it has gone smoother each time I use it, and I can see where soon there will be a lot less movement. The new PEG came with two tubes, one of them is longer, and has the 'y' adapter, I think to be used if one does the hanging bag method of feeding, or with an enteral feeding pump, and then the shorter tube, which is the one I included a photo of.

Deb, trying to take mystery and fear away is really the primary reason I posted this. We read about how to handle the various stages of progression, but the details as far as the non-disease/medical aspects oftentimes are not expanded upon.

Laurel, lol to the porta potty. We had a name for my old peg that shall not be mentioned here. Lets just say I'm back to being all girl now :grin:

Glad you posted this, so I can show it to Bruce's dr. of course I don't want Bruce looking girly haha

Welcome to the club!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back