08/2011
Country
US
State
ne
City
omaha
Hi,
My name is Mike I am new to this and I have no clue how this works.
I was diagnosed with ALS August of 2011 My symptoms started in January 2011.
I have tons of questions The First one is what is slow Progression My left side is weaker than my right. will I wake up one day and can't walk? right now I cant lift my leg up to put a sock on.

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum.
It may be a good idea to change your sign in so it does not include your email. Just too many loons out there.
Everyones progression is different, no real pattern to it. As much as we are all individuals, so is the progression of ALS.
There are people here that can give you a better answer than me.
Welcome
Aly

Thank You
I will change it. I had trouble setting up an account.

I agree with Mike - since I too am new - had this same question. Is there some kind of "definition" of what is "fast progression" v. "slow progression"? I know everyone is different, but it would help to be able to compare where I am to a "clinical" definition of slow or fast. I've also heard there may be a plateau. Is this true? How does diet affect this? TIA.

Hi Mike. Very sorry for your diagnosis but you've found a wonderful outlet & resource with this forum. I'm new myself but I'm learning alot. It's a great feeling to know that you are not alone.

I guess I'm slow. Been at it 8 or 9 years now. There are plateaus. You'll lose some function and then be fine (so to speak) for a time and then slide downhill again. No one can tell you how it will be. Plan for tomorrow but live for today.

AL.

It has been explained to me that whatever speed of progression you start with you will usually keep at that pace, not speed up and slow down. Only time will help decide if you are going fast or slow. As for waking up not being able to do something, this has not happened to me. You should notice things changing and hopefully not have something smack you down. I wish you all good luck and welcome here.

Hi Mike,
I am also new to this disease and have many of the same questions. Although I havent been formally diagnosed the time table you discribed is similar to mine. My rt. side is weaker than my lt. some days are worse than others and my speech is hot and cold. Not knowing what is next is very frightening but I have learned to appreciate my good days more and more.
Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone and that I hear and feel your fear. I am right there with you, Cynthia

Sorry to see so many newbies on this path of ours, but welcome to our forum. There are many older threads that have great information about anything and everything you can think of, so spend some time searching them out. As farr as progression goes, Jason's Dream just lost her Jason in 22 months I think she said; and i was diagnosed in April 2010 and other than my walking, feel pretty good otherwise. Aches and pains, but hell, I'm 53! I'm also in a clinical trial, and hopefully my progression is even slower due to that.

I would recommend looking at nutritional info and supplements, I find a difference when I don't take mine, but everyone is different and you have to educate yourself on what is right for you. Good luck and come visit us at our Come for Tea thread when you want a lighter moment, we're nuts over there.

Helen

Hi Mike, sorry for the diagnosis but your in the right place. I was diagnosed last May but had weird symptoms 18 months prior. Find a clinical trial if you can. There are many promising drugs they are trying.
Everyone's progression is different since they're so many variants.

Hey Mike, I am from Omaha, remember Rotella's real well. Think I took dancing class with some of the Rotella's. Hang in there, this is a tough disease, but this forum is a great place to learn.

Hi Mike. Sorry for your diagnosis. As others have said I would change your user name.

To answer your question, progression for the most part is very linear. So whatever you experienced on one said as it spreads to the other side you can typically expect the same type of progression rate. Obviously everyone is different.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

Hi Mike, glad you found the site, it has helped me. please let us know what you change your sign in too.

Thank you and I will let you know as soon as I figure out how to change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back