Diagnosis
10/2011
Country
CA
State
ON
City
ST. CATHARINES
I'd love to hear anybody's opinion on this.

When I was being diagnosed in September, my ALS clinic suggested taking vitamins.

I've been taking them daily, not sure if they help or not, but who am I to argue with the Doc.

Vitamin E
Vitamin C
Ginseng
Red Grape seed extract
Co-enzyme Q10
Creatine
Vitamin D

I understand why these particular vitamins were picked, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on if they help or not.

Cheers,
Casey

I take a bunch of vitamins, suggested by ALS MD, who believes that antioxidants and neuroprotective supplements are unproven, but can't hurt. My wife, who is completely healthy, takes them as well.

B12 sublingual is recommended also. It take magnesium for spasms

I take most of what you are along with B - 12 although I do not take the red grape seed. Who really knows what to take. We all know there is no magic formula, I would go with your Dr's recommendations and what you are comfortable with. If it seems to help you then stick with it, if there are side effects that you do not want to deal with cut it out.

I do not believe there is any steadfast rule when it comes to vitamins.

I don't take the ginseng or grape seed. Take the others and they haven't killed me yet.

AL.

Many years ago in our nursing program one of our profs told us that the US had the most expensive urine in the world.
If your body doesn't use it, it gets excreted.
My physician believes as I do that the research just isn't out there today to support the notion that we need all of these supplements. (Marketing is doing a wonderful job selling these products to the American public)
There are tests to determine if you have a deficiency.
There's no better way to get your nutrients than by eating a healthy and well balanced diet.
Some supplements can be dangerous or counterproductive when combined with certain prescription medications. Others are not effective unless taken with certain foods. There is an UL (upper limit) that should not be surpassed. This UL includes the amount you are ingesting with your meals as well.
Always inform your healthcare providers about any vitamins or supplements that you do take.

If you do decide to take a supplement, please do some independent research on what you're taking so that you can avoid any undesirable or dangerous combinations. Talk to your pharmacist.

Here's a link to the National Institute of Health concerning vitamins and minerals. ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/list-VitaminsMinerals

Some reserach about the use of Vitamin E, and the others eem to fall into the category "Can't hurt, mught help." I'd listen to the M.D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back