When no communication at all works, what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

janbanan

Reason
Loved one DX
Diagnosis
06/2003
Country
SWE
State
Sweden
City
-
Hello all!

My dad got ALS about 7-8 years ago. One thing that differ him from most people with als is that he breath with an respirator. This has givven him many "bonus years" which has been great! But problem is now that the disease removed ALL abillity to communicate.
He cant even blink on command now. There is nothing at all he can move on command!

It has been like this for a pretty long time now. The therapist here is really bad and cant help us. Today i found this forum by coincidence and ive read alot good things! It's sad we havnt found it before. But better late then never!

Question is:
Is there any way we can help him communicate again? (With communicate i just mean be able to give us a signal on command,blink,impulse or anything)
Maybe there is any hightec brain impulse thing to buy from USA or something?!

All tips and ideas are highly appriciated!

Excuse my grammer.
Greetings from Sweden!

Thank you alot
I wish all of you who struggle with this terrible disease the best, you are very strong!

Is it possible for him to move his eyes up and down for yes, side to side for no?

AL.

Sometimes though the blinking on demand is gone, the person is able to stare intently. If this is the case for your dad then some eyegaze technology may work. Good luck in the hunt

It may be possible for him to control some of the air movement, thus sending signals.

Is it possible for him to move his eyes up and down for yes, side to side for no?

AL.

No, unfortunally not. He can move them sometimes and even blink, but not o command...

Here is an easy to use, inexpensive way to communicate with just your eyes.

https://www.alsforums.com/forum/tip...ech-eyetracker-device-s-free-well-almost.html
We used something similar method before, not as well thought out tho. Thanks anyway!½

Sometimes though the blinking on demand is gone, the person is able to stare intently. If this is the case for your dad then some eyegaze technology may work. Good luck in the hunt
I'll look into it! I'll update you later, thanks

It may be possible for him to control some of the air movement, thus sending signals.
THIS is very intressting! Do you know if there is any special device to use to see if the person helps to breath himself or is only way to look at the respirator? If so i might need tips n ideas what to look for, if anyone have expierence with this:=)

Thank you all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back