Diagnosis
08/2011
Country
US
State
NC
City
Greensboro
All I want to do is cry. My husband of 39 ½ years has been diagnosed with ALS. I don’t understand how this could happen to a person who had absolutely no health issues and was extremely active. Throughout 2010 I kept telling my husband he was losing muscle mass. His whole body was shrinking but no pain or weakness or twitching. I even joked with him that although he had just turned 60 in April his body looked like an 80 year old man. I feel so guilty for saying that now!

In March of 2011 my husband said his left arm felt weak but I contributed it to improper biceps curls since he had been exercising over the past 4 months due to my ribbing about his body. By mid June the weakness was getting worse so he went to our regular doctor. They requested an MRI of his neck and referred him to a Nero Surgeon. The Nero Surgeon did not feel there was an issue with his neck and decided to perform an EMG and Nerve conductive test as well as blood tests. A week later we were called in and told there were some things that showed up on the EMG and they wanted to refer us to another Neurologist who dealt more with nerves and muscles issues. Two weeks later we are at our second Neurologists who had received the results from the previous blood test but not the EMG and Nerve conductive tests. She spent 35 minutes having Ralph touch his nose, sit, squat, stick his tongue out, stand on one foot, etc and on August 15th we heard “you have a motor neuron disease called ALS”. We were stunned. I had heard of the disease and knew it was horrific and fatal but little else. My husband kept saying this can't be, I'm opening a new business and I'm working 10-12 hours a day which she responded “well you can’t live forever, everyone has to die sometime”. There was no twitching, pain or spasms other than muscle atrophy and weakness in his left arm. She did not want to see the original EMG and Nerve Conductive tests because she wanted to perform her own. Two weeks later another EMG and NC tests were performed and afterward she told us she was standing by her diagnosis. We are less than 50 minutes from 2 very good ALS Clinics and wanted us to choose one we wanted to be referred to. After the second EMG & Nerve the twitching began. Massive twitching in his arms, hands, abs, back, butt, legs, chest and shoulders. It is difficult and heartbreaking to sleep next to him. He started having weakness in his right arm and both hands and difficulty holding his head up straight. Our appt at Duke Oct 25th started with another EMG and Nerve Conductive tests (yes, that’s right 3 in 4 months) and ALS again was confirmed.

In the two months between the first and second diagnosis I found this website and spent hours and hours reading people’s posts trying to learn everything I could about this disease. Everyone is so helpful and caring. I’ve learned this disease is horrible and attacks everyone different. It can progress fast or slow and difficult to diagnose. If this disease takes months and years to diagnose how did we get diagnose on the first visit? How far has he progressed that it was so easy to diagnose him? Dr. Bedlack said every motor neuron he has is sick. He still has about 30% use of his arms and hands and not showing any weakness in his legs and swallowing. He is still shrinking throughout his whole body and gets extremely fatigued and of course lot's and lot's of twitching. He has gone from a size 17 1/2 shirt last year to a 16 1/2 this year and looking frail. His weight has only decreased by 10 lbs in the last year (5lbs in the last 2 months).

I’m scared and can’t stand the thoughts of losing the man I love. I want my life back and know there is nothing I can do to change what is happening.

Wanda

I am so sorry that you are here. We live outside ATL and go to the Emory ALS Clinic. We joined a clinical trial because we felt like we had to do something productive against the onslaught of this disease.

It is so progressive. My husband can no longer walk or stand and his FVC has gone from 80% to 37%. He lost use of his dominant right hand and the left hand is going. But he can swallow and he can still talk.

Treasure every day that you can share together.

Welcome Wanda. My disease started with weakness in the left arm too, and I'm left-handed. My husband is very angry and sad, but he's the greatest support to me. We were enjoying retirement so much before this disease hit. You sound like you are a big support to your husband.

Wanda, I'm so sorry that you guys are having to deal with ALS at this time in your lives. I know what you mean about the repetitive testing. The DX is so serious, the Docs just want to be sure. You've found a great place for info and support.

Welcome to the forum, Wanda, and I am so sorry have to be here. You are in the right place for comfort, support, and answers to your questions. I just thought I would share with you that my husband was also diagnosed without too much waiting. The first neurologist suspected he had ALS, but apparently he didn't show quite enough signs. What she said to us was, "I don't see anything I can treat, but if you want to go for a second opinion, I can set you up." Gary had broken his back five years earlier and we thought he was having residual side effects from that injury. We merrily agreed to travel to Seattle (we live in Alaska) because our daughter lives in that area, and we jump on any excuse to go see her. We also thought they would maybe have some new miracle surgery to repair the problem. Well, well, well, it didn't happen that way. It didn't take Dr. Weiss long at all to make the diagnosis. Gary had the EMG, and nerve conduction test done in the morning and received the diagnosis the same afternoon. This second opinion consult was 4 months after seeing the first neurologist and they were able to make the definitive diagnosis this time. (I am grateful for those four extra months of ignorance.)

I too found it hard to grasp the reality of ALS taking over our lives and thought I would wake up one day and find it was just a nightmare.... still waiting for that one. So we try to enjoy each and every moment and take advantage of opportunities as we learn to live with the monster.

Blessings to you and your sweetie,
Jo

Wanda so sorry this has happened to you and your husband, this is a great forum, with lots of helpful info..Hope we can help by being here...

Sorry you have to start down this road. Be sure there is help along the way on this site. My diagnoses was also very quick, only two emg, and nerve conductivity test. One at my local level and one at the Mayo, after that I said no more. My ALS clinic said more were not nessacary after seeing both results. I had been having issues for at least a year before i quit being stubborn about going to Drs and getting checked out.

Welcome to the site.

Wanda, welcome to this elite club that none of us wanted to be a part of, but are sure glad for the friends we make here.

You will soon find that any question you might have very someone who has a suggestion that worked for them. You will also find that when you need to rant and rave we will all be here and listen and cry with. No doubt we will also give you lots of hugs, smiles, (even giggles) apple bushels of love and prayer. Welcome!

Thank You Guys, My husband and family are in denial and I have no one I can talk to and ask questions.

I am glad you found the site. It is hard to comprehend at first and to be honest never fully is comprehensible in my mind. All we can do is try to help each other through this horrible disease. Before living in FL my wife and I used to live in Greensboro, NC. We loved it there. Please let me know if you need anything.

Wanda so sorry for your husband's diagnosis. It is not an easy thing to deal with no matter what age. From what I know Duke is a good clinic so you will be in good hands. My only advice is cherish every moment you have together. ALS effects everyone differently and you have to learn to continually adapt to constantly changing new normals.

Stay strong and keep the faith.

Wanda,
I am sorry to hear you will have this difficult journey. My mother's doctor also got it right in the first visit, before all the testing. and second opinions. In a way that's a blessing. And the sign of an experienced physician. The only thing I regret is that I did not tape record my Mother's voice. She can no longer speak and I would give anything just to hear her voice again.

Wanda so so sorry about your husbands d x. You have found the right place, the people here can help with comfor, support or info. Big HUgs

Wanda, I noticed weakness in my righthand fingers about a year and a half before I even started to investigate it. When I noticed weakness in my legs too I got very concerned but stayed in denial. It took 1 EMG for an ALS opinion and I had a EMG, MRI and 2nd opinion about a month later. Sometimes when nothing else jumps out like a spinal problem or MS or stroke or something, and there are so many symptoms and dirty EMGs it's pretty safe to say ALS. I'm sorry you have cause to be here. Let us know what we cando to help or answer questions.
Hugs

I'm sorry you have a need to be here. You have already learned this sight is an invaluable resources. Don't waste time wishing for things that aren't ever going to be. Make the most out of every day not wasting today worrying about tomorrow. Attitude is 90 percent of the battle and he will feed off of you and your feelings. there will be time to mourn latter. Now is the time to live life to the fullest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back