Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
Indiana
City
Indianapolis
My son is going to be turning 16 in 2 months. He is so excited and he is hoping with all of his heart for a car. Well, his dad and I have decided that he deserves one as long as he can still drive and we are going to pick out a black H3 for him as a surprise birthday morning gift. We will have a bow on it and everything. His will need a wheelchair lift installed for the driver seat so I'm here to ask if Hummer H3's require any special instructions when it comes to making the vehicle accessible. Anybody know? The only company I have heard of that does a wheelchair lift is that place that I found online while I was searching today. I just need some information on estimated prices, and how to actually have it installed. The van we have now came with the lift so we didn't have to worry about it. I really appreciate any knowledge that you can share!

I'd call Braun. Most of the people here can't afford a Hummer so I think you're asking the wrong group.

AL.

A Hummer?!?! Heck, I'm cutting plywood to rig a wheelchair onto my Radio Flyer wagon!
Add some cool cup holders, an umbrella for rainy days, two Siberian Huskies for power and I'll show up on Pimp My Ride!

Call your local ALS Association. They know about all that sort of stuff. Why on earth would you want a Hummer for you 16 year old? Aren't they gas hogs?

Wait, am I understanding you correctly? Your 16 year old has ALS? That's VERY young for an ALS diagnosis.

ALS is a progressive disease. Everything becomes affected eventually. When he loses use of his hands or arms he will no longer be able to drive. When he loses use of his feet or legs it's possible for most vehicles to be fitted with hand controls. Some types of lifts fit on the rear of the vehicle, with the wheelchair remaining outside. That kind isn't what you want. I don't know if you can install a lift that allows his chair to be brought inside in a Hummer. This is what you need long term. You need someway to get him inside the vehicle while he remains in his chair. At the point where you're using the lift he will no longer be the driver.

If you have the resources an H3 is a wonderful over-the-top splurge for somebody with a terminal illness. A much more practical alternative would be to consider getting a wheelchair van at the point he needs it, and selling whatever he is driving up until that point.

-Tom

Go to Braun's website, seems the conversions start at about $12-15K, but they don't list a hummer, so it will probably be more... good luck!

Good for you that you will always have that memory of the look on his face when he sees that hummer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back