Diagnosis
10/2010
Country
US
State
Al
City
Valley
How do you keep the syring from being so hard to push when feeding in the peg tube? The big ones we have, 60 ml piston syringe, are awfully hard for me to push, let alone Bruce. Any suggestions?

Don't use the plunger at all, just pull the plunger out and use the barrel as a funnel. I've been doing it this way for almost three years now and it works well.

Last edited:
We found that using warm or hot water to wash the syringes expanded the rubber part and made them so difficult to use. Cold water and soap and then maybe dispose of them sooner.

Barry's way is the way to go. And, mix the formula if it is thick like syrup, with water or milk (it will flow better). Put in a measuring cup with a pointed lip, then pour into the syringe.

Sounds good to me, I will do that Barry, I think maybe I did wash them in warm water, probably did it. Thanks yall

Barry's way is the best. If you push the plunger too hard it could cause a "reflux" and maybe aspiration.

we do exactly what Barry and CJ have explained. Works great.

That's what I do too (pour into syringe without plunger) but, if you need to use the plunger to stir things up if there's a clog.... and the plunger won't go in, a little bit of vegetable oil rubbed on the rubber will make it slide again.

We are still only using the PEG for water, but I am interested in this method. How does the feed go in if you are not pushing it, does it not seep back out? Do you need to have the tube under a particular angle? I mean even opening the tube to release the air (as per my 'belching' thread) means that stuff comes out. D

It should just drain down the tube Danijela, just hold it up straight, the higher you hold it up the faster it goes down, the lower you get makes it go down slower. If they cough or belch make sure you try to pinch the tube or cover it with your hand, or it will come out all over you.

Danjela, it sounds like his tube does not have a clamp to keep fluid from escaping while the port is open. My husband's current PEG does not have a clamp. We purchased a small rubber tipped clamp from the electrical department of a large hardware store. I always clamp the tube before opening it, thus insuring that no seepage occurs. After the syringe is inserted into the port and the formula has been started, I un-clamp the tube. When done feeding and rinsing, I re-clamp then close the port and remove clamp.

Last edited:
Thanks CJ. His tube does have a clump. I was told the following.

open tube then

1. Attach the syringe
2. unclamp the tube
3. press plunger/push contents
4. clamp tube
5. remove syringe
6. close tube

So you leave the tube unclamped, but closed, when not using it? Am I killing Laurence with this clamping business? :shock::shock:

Heavens no, Danjela! If there is a clamp on the tube, that's great. The clamp is to prevent "accidents." Some tubes do not have them for one reason or another. If I remember correctly, you can move the clamp along the tube. To me it makes more sense to clamp it closer to the port, as there is less chance of a lot coming out of the tube if you cannot keep hold of it while inserting the syringe.

If you don't use the plunger, the trick is to hold onto the tube and the syringe at the same time, keeping them connected. It just take practice.

: ) Well he sounded like he was approaching his end with the afore mentioned belching. That is now all resolved, thankfully. I do move the clamp along the tube. I am tempted to move it close to the port, but it was 'set' at about 4 cm from the port, so I keep moving it 1cm each way.

also moving the clamp doesn't stress the tube in the same place constantly, causing the area to weaken. (in my opinion, anyway)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back