Diagnosis
11/2008
Country
UK
State
UK
City
Bolton
Is anybody using those to assist with transfers/moving up and down on the bed? Are they easy to use?

I can get Laurence up when he is sitting at the edge of the bed, but am struggling to get him to the bottom of the bed (from lying down position). I have no space in the bedroom to get him to the side of the bed and into a chair, hence it has to be sliding to the bottom of the bed.

Hi Dani, I've been reading your posts this morning. Sounds like some changes are happening. Though I'm glad you'll have hospice support I well remember how it felt in me adjusting to the change. Not easy.

On sliding sheets. I found them invaluable for positioning from early on and avoiding pressure sores when we were in the complete paralysis phase. There are different kinds out there. I would recommend the 4 way sliding sheets which basically mean they are designed to move someone up/down or side to side in bed. I can pm you details of the uk made brand I used if of help. I'm not too sure how you're managing transfers at the end of the bed so can't visualise how of if the sheet will help there but it certainly can move a person down the bed. Is there a hoist in the equation? If you wanted to see the sheets in action there are online demos.

All the best

Have you a hoist?

You can even use a plain folded sheet as an aid to move someone in bed. Take a standard sheet and fold it into thirds--and place it under the PAL for those that might not be able to afford the specialized sheets.

They also make bed protectors that fit under the hips and tuck under the mattress--they can be used to move a person in bed, also

Just as Patty (notme) said- thats what we do. just use a regular folded up sheet under my PALS to boost him in bed.

Thanks all. The OT is bringing some to trial this Wednesday. D

Hi Dani

Hope your doing ok with the slide sheets we found them a great help in bed, and its something i can do myself too. We are now waiting for a one way one for his scooter, as he keeps nearly slipping off the seat on longer journeys. On the rise and recliner to help him I have purchased some satin material so he slides on it easier and we still use the banana board to get onto that. Hope your all over your cold now too xx Ang

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back