Diagnosis
11/2008
Country
UK
State
UK
City
Bolton
We decided to tap into the hospice service here in the UK. I think things are somewhat different than in the US, in terms of who qualifies and what is available in terms of support once the person is referred to the hospice.

In the UK anybody with a 'life limiting' desease can access hospice services, and from any point following the diagnosis diagnosis (that 6 months left to live 'requriement' is not mentioned). They offer day patient and hospice at home care. Our local hospice has its own team of physio, OT, speech and language therapist, dietician. They offer complementary therapies, and provide counselling for carers and family members. Also, respite, by referral.

I felt terrible yesterday, following this decision. I think was it more to do with the symbolic meaning of the hospice, and a 'gear change'... Will keep you posted on how we get on.
I should add that Laurence is still in work full time and we are getting a wheelchair accessible vehichle next week, allowing us freedom to do things as a family. D

Don't feel bad, i just started my hospice this week and so far they have brought over goodies to make me more comfortable.

Danijela, don't feel bad. I have struggled also to come to the "hospice" decision.

Hope you will benefit greatly. Keep us posted. Sending you hugs.

Thank you both. Some mixed 'reviews' from the UK based folk, but I think we will give it a go. If it is not working out we can simply cross it off our list of options. D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back