what is difference between cpap and bipap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostin

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
09/2010
Country
th
State
phuket
City
patong
i know one only blows air up your nose and the other has a full mask but with both you still have to breathe yourself don't you?

A C Pap delivers continuous air pressure at one level.. A BiPap delivers continous air pressure at 2 different levels. I believe inhale level is stronger causing the lungs to expand a little more and then the exhale level is a lower pressure. If I have the levels mixed up someone will correct me.
Hope this helps a little

CPAP --> Constant Positive Airway Pressure (one pressure level, used all the time)

BiPAP --> Bi-level Positive Airway Pressure (two pressure settings -- one used during inhalation, one used the rest of the time).

Either therapy can be and is used with both nasal and full-face masks.

Yes, you do need to be able to breathe on your own to use them effectively. Even though some BiPAPs have the ability to "push" a breath after a certain length of time has elapsed since the last breath (called S/T, or spontaneous/timed, mode), they are not replacements for full-fledged ventilators.

CPAPs are not recommended for use in patients who have hypoventilation due to neuromuscular weakness caused by ALS.

Hope this helps.

A trilogy non-invasive ventilator has 3 settings and really does a good job for me. It has rate, pressure and volume. It will push air every 8 seconds if I don't breath myself. Also it keeps track of tidal volume. It has a min, and max pressure setting. I know I sound like I know what all this means, but I'm just passing on what I have told.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back