This what some pALS have to deal with!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm outraged! I can't believe a healthcare "professional" would or could walk away from an ill person who is hungry. What type of care is this? Unbelievable!

CJ we watched that story on the news last night. I think it brings into play some of the issues that Joel dealt with. In the end, he had private care aides versus government subsidized help due to some of the red tape that happens here. The care aides provided by the Vancouver Coastal Health have to conform to very narrow parameters concerning what they are allowed to do. Only RN's are allowed to tube feed--I don't even think LPN's are allowed to do it. Yes family can be trained, but due to liability issues they won't allow aides to do it. So the couple in the video are likely going to be forced to place her in a facility unless family or volunteers can step in and do the tube feeds while hubby is at work. We are lucky to have the aides provided under our medical plan, but Government red tape rears its ugly head over who can do what. I wonder if Barry faces the same red tape? I hope not.
Laurel

At least it's getting coverage in the news!

Hopefully something can be done!

Just shows the difference between jurisdictions even within the same country. Here in Alberta all my aides are feeding me and that includes the government aides . The idea that they aren't trained and that only a nurse can do it is just ridiculous, I trained all my aides and I cant even talk!

I guess I won't be moving to BC anytime soon. Bureaucratic torture!

Barry I wonder if you could somehow email the Bowen Island couple and let them know that it happens in Alberta? It might give them some ammunition they need.
Laurel

The home health aides we used here in Ohio also were not allowed to perform a tube feed. We knew that when they were brought in to provide care while I worked. Fortunately, he was still able to eat very very soft foods until he moved into the hospice facility. The LPNs at the hospice were allowed to tube feed.

The ironic thing is that it's far more dangerous for someone to eat foods by mouth than by feeding tube.

That's exactly what my neuro said to me yesterday. So I'm supposed to go for the PEG on Monday.

Is there a reason why they couldn't move other than probably losing money on the house in a bad economy?

Kimberly

How silly but more than the interview and article, the comments made by both nurses and aides made me cringe. I wouldn't want some of those people near my family! They didn't seem to have a clue what was involved. And they're not inserting anything anyway! I helped Bob with syringe tube feeding - no problem. Bob's caregiver tube feeds a different patient. Rules between provinces are obviously different. Grrrrrr.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back