Diagnosis
05/2011
Country
US
State
Pennsylvania
City
Greensburg
My hubby woke up this AM and showed me a huge lump on his collar bone! It is three times larger than the same area on the other side. We never noticed it unti this AM! He has been having jaw pain, it clicks with he chews, and lately he has had choking and swalling issues where he seems to have it going down the "wrong pipe". Are these things related, similar, ...? I know everyone is different, but has anyone had this? He has an appointment tomorrow to see what is going on. Trouble is the ALS Clinic is a drive...he is going to his family doc who is a few miles away.
We were just to the ALS Clinic. He mentioned the pain...doc at the ALS Clinic didn't say anything. Now this lump?
Afraid! So Worried.... Can't help it! Pray!

My hubby woke up this AM and showed me a huge lump on his collar bone! It is three times larger than the same area on the other side. We never noticed it unti this AM! He has been having jaw pain, it clicks with he chews, and lately he has had choking and swalling issues where he seems to have it going down the "wrong pipe". Are these things related, similar, ...? I know everyone is different, but has anyone had this? He has an appointment tomorrow to see what is going on. Trouble is the ALS Clinic is a drive...he is going to his family doc who is a few miles away.
We were just to the ALS Clinic. He mentioned the pain...doc at the ALS Clinic didn't say anything. Now this lump?
Afraid! So Worried.... Can't help it! Pray!

Could be enlarged lymph nodes due to an infection -- chest, throat, maybe an abscess forming from a bad tooth.

Don't assume that everything that happens to your husband is caused by or related to his ALS. If something suddenly pops up, do what you would do if he didn't have ALS -- primary care doctor or hospital emergency room as appropriate. Let the doctors figure out whether ALS is the cause. Then you can tell us what caused it instead of getting in a panic and hoping we can tell you what's going on.

Good luck.

Whew...OKay
Good Advice!

Aw Gee Kiss, this is awful...but I have never heard of a lump in the neck caused by ALS...but the swallowing and choking issues, yes. You may want to consider having a peg placed, so that your hubby can supplement with formular, and then eat what he is comfortable with eatting.
I am so glad I now have my peg...it has made life easier, to hydrate, and now I eat "recreationally"...what I really want to eat, and the formular keeps me from losing weight, another big concern. Praying for you both, love and kisses and ((hugs))

Thanks Sequoia, John went to his family doc today. He got an x-ray and other tests. It appears to be Arthritis..spelling...hate to spell diseases anyway! :(
So, he is sitting here with a hot compress like the doc told him to do.
She didn't say too much about the jaw with chewing pain and the doc at the ALS Clinic didn't either! I can't stant when a doc ignores ya!
But, it is all good right now. Takin each moment one at a time.

Wow, arthritis causing the collarbone area to swell? Seriously? I've never heard of such a thing. Arthritis affects joints. Are they sure that is the problem?

I hate to second guess doctors, but I think perhaps I'd get a second opinion on that one. Is the heat helping with the pain? Perhaps a dentist could look for an abscess?

The joint between the collar bone (clavicle) and breast bone (manubrium) can get arthritis, especially if it gets dislocated. Dislocation can occur if the trapezius muscle is atrophied. And it's a long- long was (anatomically) from the teeth.

I know it's a long way from the teeth--but believe me, an abscessed tooth can cause swelling in that area--at least in my personal experience. Of course, I was also deathly ill from it, too--and in severe pain.

An x-ray would have shown a dislocation, I'd think.

Dunno--but I still stick with my "I'd get a second opinion" route

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back