Poll about the "Vent/No-Vent" Decision.

Do you plan to go on a ventilator when your progression forces that decision upon you

• Yes

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • No

Votes: 25 61.0%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Already did it

Votes: 2 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

trfogey

Very helpful member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
07/2007
Country
US
State
NC
City
Raleigh
We have a new member who has expressed an interest in this subject, so here's a poll you can participate in anonymously if you choose to and elaborate if you choose to with responses in this thread. Poll question: Do you plan to go on a ventilator when your progression forces that decision upon you?

Not sure whether we have a choice in UK. I don't see or hear much about it here.

Although not I'm not a PALS, I am a CALS and I voted for my PALS and what her wishes are.

Chris, like Australia and new Zealand ( most of the world) there is not the choice. It's mainly a USA thing.

I don't understand.

I voted based on my husband's decision.

Chris, like Australia and new Zealand ( most of the world) there is not the choice. It's mainly a USA thing.

So they don't allow vents? Or the don't allow them to turn it off?

They don't vent MND patients at all. It's just not an option.

Wow. I wonder what the reasoning is for those laws.

I don't think that there are actual laws against ventilators in those countries. It's just that the government-controlled health care system chooses not to provide the equipment or support it. Cheaper to let nature take its course, than to provide expensive equipment and expensive people to tend to it, most likely. One of the downsides to an uncompetitive health care marketplace.

The use of artificial ventilation is more common in Japan than in the U.S., from what I understand. Unfortunately, very few Japanese PALS and CALS interact with the English-speaking ALS community, so it's hard to find out the inside story about ALS in Japan.

Trfogey's spot on. It's all about the numbers.
It's the downside of a public health system. There are many goodsides as well.

Could one privately vent if they had the funds?

I don't see why you can't. If you have an accident ie fracture ahigh cervical vertabra and need ventilating, then it's covered by a different law and is fully funded including carers by the government. Sucks

let me get this straight...
if your in an accident and paralyzed you can vent
but if you have an MND you cannot?
No offense to any of you from those places, but that logic is D U M B in my opinion.

It's DUMB in my opinion as well, but I doubt the government will give a dam.
But Liz yes you are correct.....accident- vent.......fully funded under ACC laws.......MND- just pass away gasping.
About as unfair as it gets.
Oh apart from that chap murdered today by the American judicial system, that sucks as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back