Diagnosis
03/2009
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Columbus
I am wondering how many people on this board that have been diagnosed with ALS have had some form of head trauma in their life?

More men than women are diagnosed with ALS. More men suffer from head trauma through roughhousing and playing sports than women. Even Lou Gehrig had five concussions during his sports career.

Just curious.

Dan

Add my husband to the list. Had a severe head injury in 2004, ALS in 2007.

Mine was in 1958 ALS 2006

I have had several instances of head trauma in my life also.

Look at the bottom of the page. We've discussed this before. Search works too.

AL.

LOL Al...remember we have had head trauma...:)

Thank you for all of your answers. I ask that you continue to post whether you had head traumas or not. I am also interested in the time of the head trauma and when you were diagnosed with ALS?
I hit my head hard requiring six Staples back in 2004. I was diagnosed with ALS in 2007

Thanks again,

Dan

There are literally thousands of people that have had head trauma and never develop ALS, though. I know very few people that have never had at least a concussion. Head trauma is all too common.

Just adding my 2 cents worth here, it seems that there are alot of healthcare works that get it also but not all with PALS are healthcare workers either. And with so few of us having it I cant see how any connection can be made on either of these. It is just a mystery at this point. Could even be our brand of toothpaste for instance or just about anything else, I don't think we have just one thing in common or we haven't found that common denominator to connect outside influence to cause this.

I am sure the more with head trauma are also the ones that are more active and as in other posts say 'more suseciptible' to getting als. You see more people who had 'taxed' their bodies with sports, dance, or in the military getting it than others.

On the other note...though I am waiting once again for the diagnosis to be re-issued. Concussion '08 1st diagnosis- 08/2010, 2nd diagnosis 04/2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back