Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
I know that it is normal to "quake" when yawning, but lately I am noticing that my entire left arm and hand spasm when I yawn.

Since so far I have been fortunate that my upper body has been relatively unaffected, just thought I would check in with everyone on this.

Generally, spasms are not bad because they show that you still have the use of the area involved, but this is new.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

- Jerry

That happens to me too. It' s not painful but looks weird.

Happened to Bob too. It seems to be typical ALS?

My vocal chords spasm so I make a humming sound the whole exhale. I have tried everything I can think of to stop it to no avail. They love me in church lol

Yup, me too.

OK, this is so weird. My husband just told me that he is doing the same thing.

Sometimes my husband's whole body shakes.

I dont want to be the bearer (sp?) of bad news, but sometimes when youre getting these tremors, spasms, twitches, etc. in areas that you usually dont have them, it CAN mean the disease is progressing to that area.
Im not sure how yawning ties into it.
Im sorry for posting this. I know its not what you want to hear, but its a possibility that thats what it is. Im not trying to rain on anyones parade- just trying to help.

Last edited:
That is what I assumed was happening. With that my husband has been getting weaker. So I feel that they are both entangled with each other. His eyes are not a bright blue as they used to be.

Same thing happens to me. I try so hard not to make the sound when exhaling. Good to know I am not the only one this happens to.

Yep:

My fear is that this is true, since it is a new sensation. My left arm and hand are involved in the tremble and I have noticed that sometimes my fine motor skills are not up to speed in this same location when I am tired.

And I was so happy that my upper body was symptom free so far.....one year in; kinda sucks.

Im so sorry! Wish there were something I could actually do to help you... just know that I hate it just as much as you do... Love to u.

hmmm...I have been doing that since the beginning of summer and I do not have als but rather pls. I also go into a full body lock and shake when I stretch, like right before waking up fully. That has been going on much longer, like maybe a year. My disease has progressed within that period, but not as fast as als.

When my husband stretches in the bed in the morning, his whole body shakes too. It's getting harder for him to move since his right foot and leg are totally affected along with his back muscles and right arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back