Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
WI
City
Beaver Dam
Hi Folks
Do any of you have any experience or know about changing one's POA? Is it a simple thing to do? And what if the current POA is against losing that title?
Does it make it more difficult because my PALS cannot talk?

any advice would be great. thanks so much.

Your best bet would be to consult a lawyer, but I would think all Ray would have to do would be to consent it legally.

I sure hope its this easy, Joni.

Liz.... as long as he can give consent it shouldn't be a problem but definitly contact an attorney. Maybe ALSA can help?

A new POA makes any prior one's null and void. You will most likely have to go to an attorney, not just because he can't speak, but if I remember correctly, he can't sign his name either.

youre correct, lms- no movement except for eyes. he has a lawyer, so thats good.
another question- can a POA legally go behind that persons back and tell his lawyer not to do certain things?

Liz, goggle revoking poa and go to e h o w. They have a great explanation. After it's revoked, he can start over with another.

thanks bunches, CJ

If you revoke a POAm especially when there are areas of contention or potential challenge by the former POA, you should contact each and every legal/business/bank contact and provide a formal notification of the change. Otherwise the former POA still has access/decision making capacity with that agency/organization.

Liz, definitely contact an attorney in your area. Typically when a new POA is executed it contains language in the document that "specificially revokes any and all POA's heretofore (or previously) executed". You shouldn't need to execute a Revocation of Power of Attorney unless you are concerned about the prior "attorney in fact" executing documents on your PALS behalf that could prove to be detrimental to your PALS either financially or otherwise. In that case, I have my clients execute a Revocation of POA and file it in our local Probate Office which puts the public on "notice" that the old POA is no longer valid. So long as your PALS has the mental capacity to know what "powers" he/she is conveying via the POA, there should be no problem executing a new one. Of course, I only practice in Alabama, so I strongly recommend you contact a local attorney who is most familiar with particular State laws. (Make sure you mention to the attorney that your are a CALS and need to have the HIPPA powers/release of information clause set forth). By the way, typically, it doesn't matter if the current attorney-in-fact wants to give up their powers or not--it's the PALS decision. Best of luck! Forgot to mention....in most states, even if your PALS is unable to sign there is a provision that allows them to sign by their "mark" (could be an "X" or like symbol"). It may take 1 or 2 more witnesses to the execution, but it should not make any less valid!

Ruth

Last edited:
Reality is it can be a nightmare--especially if the PALs POA is a family member. I tried to help a gentleman change his POA--he asked for my help and asked me to take him to the attorney. the family went to the trouble to try to have me arrested for kidnapping (of course it didn't stick) but the point is--it's a legal nightmare if the person with the POA doesn't want to give it up.

Your best bet is to find an attorney that will come to the house and meet with the PAL and have your PALs eyegaze software set up so they can communicate properly.

Sorry--but it's not as easy as it should be. The friend I was trying to help had had a stroke--no loss of mental ability at all--but his family was bleeding him dry financially. It was a mess. Nothing I could do to help in the end. Very sad.

he doesnt have an eyegaze system. spells stuff out with an alphabet board.

Can he get one, Liz? Or one of those neat speakbooks that was posted a few weeks back? I'm sure their must be a loaner closet somewhere that would have something workable for him to get him some better access to things he may like to do.

You're his primary caregiver, right? If there is an issue of a dispute between his POA and YOU, it's going to help HIS case a lot better if he can 'speak' his wishes easier.

YOU and I know that ALS doesn't affect the mind except with FTD--an attorney--or even a judge--is just going to see a locked in shell with no voice. It's wrong--yes--and ignorant--but most of the world is ignorant when it comes to ALS, unfortunately.

Not trying to burst your hopes here at all--I'm just worried that his POA might try the "he doesn't understand" bit as my friends family did when I tried to help him. He had very slurred speech--but was mentally ALL there. He'll need to prove that, I'm afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back