Reason
Loved one DX
Country
CA
State
Sk
City
saskatoon
I am wondering if anyone is aware of research on links between ALS and fire fighters? Since my fathers(a retired fire fighters) diagnosis in June of bulbar onset ALS, I have heard of three former firefighters who have died from ALS in our city. In this mornings paper, I read an obituary of a man I knew years ago, who was a former fire fighter and while cause of death is not indicated, it did say he was very involved with the ALS society. In addition, when I spoke with the ALS clinic in Calgary Alberta, the coordinator mentioned she has known of five firefighters with ALS. If the research has not been done, does anyone know who to advocate with to look into this situation. Thanks

Hi Caring daughter. You didn't mention the Calgary link before. I knew one of the Calgary guys and one of the others I mentioned is in Edmonton. Try talking to the IAFF representative in charge of Health and Welfare. That may be a good place to start. AL.

Hi there,

I am not surprised to hear that a disproportionate number of fire-fighters have contracted ALS...the same applies for the military and trade workers. I have long believed that ALS is linked to environmental hazards...as a fire-fighter your father would have been exposed to harmful chemicals. My battle with ALS began 10 years ago after being exposed to hydrofluoric acid...a suspected neuro-toxicant. I have strong reason to believe that ALS, MS, Parkinson’s and other neurological diseases are environmental diseases...this is why they are so difficult to treat. Some people believe that a strict regiment of de-toxifying the body is the answer...works for some and not for others...not a perfected system yet. To learn more, read my post in the "general" section.

All the best,
Dan

Firefighters with ALS

Hi Caring Daughter,
My husband was a firefighter for over 25 years for the federal government, which meant he worked on an army base - a defense research establishment. I strongly believe that his work has contributed if not caused his disease. The base where he worked is well known for the various gases that were buried out there, and were tested on many innocent people during WWII. Not only that, but as an EMT and first responder, he had to go into various buildings where experiments were being conducted with nerve gas etc. and didn't know anything about it. Add to that all of the fires he's fought where who knows what was burned - it's a wonder more of his co-workers aren't ill.

The government will never take responsibilty for anything they've done - why would they now? If there was any way to prove this - I'd do it, and make sure that no one else ever had to go through this!
Beaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back