Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
tx
City
el paso
when do u say enough is enough. i feel like im done fighting this disease n my financial problems. no matter wht they r not going away. property taxes` n irs r like ALS no cure. :-x
i got screwed by my ex n government 4 being a stay at home mom.

First of all, I am sorry you are dealing with both ALS and a lack of resources.

Sometimes, I feel overwhelmed by what I am facing. I wish I had more resources ($, family/church/social support).

Someone said to me recently that things should be easier for me and that I should be relaxing and watching movies and going to the beach. I thought, "Yeah, right."

I wish I could help you.

You have probably tried this, but just in case, G o o g l e

long term care medicaid texas

Last edited:
Hi Lupe,

There are little things that should help keep you going. For me, I look forward to my hospice caregivers coming and bathing me. I have fun watching my kids doing sports activities. I try to properly anesthetize myself each day, I find that smoking marijuana is very helpful. But I do feel your pain and struggle with when is enough, enough !

I wish you love and comfort,
Shane the Pain

Unfortunately Shane, Lupe has to be a bit more careful because Texas has no medical marijuana laws.

Sweetheart, the "when to give up" is a very personal choice--but should be made when you are not depressed. You so very obviously are (and understandably so)

Medicaid and SSI should be of some help. Find a room mate to help with expenses. There are people everywhere that need a place to stay. Contact one of those tax attorneys that have ads on tv so often.

Have you considered a reverse mortgage?

You have children--unless your physical condition is so bad that you just can't function, then you have some choices to make--as for resources, though, there are some out there.

Contact the ALSA, MDA and whatever other resource there is where you live. You certainly qualify for SSI and medicare? (even stay at home moms can get that, I'd think)

If you need to--perhaps an assisted living facility (much better than nursing homes) would be a possible solution. There are options, and a trained ALS counselor can help you find those answers. Please call them.

Unfortunately, Lupe doesn't qualify for any SS at all, so no Medicare. She doesn't qualify for any programs either. And the final straw: The ALSA and MDA have been highly unresponsive. We on the forum have tried to get them involved. She has a son that has stayed by her side and is now in his 20's. I could not imagine what they've been through.

Lupe, I don't know what to say. I am not in a position to offer an opinion. But, I'm sending you hugs...

Unfortunately, Lupe doesn't qualify for any SS at all, so no Medicare. She doesn't qualify for any programs either. And the final straw: The ALSA and MDA have been highly unresponsive. We on the forum have tried to get them involved. She has a son that has stayed by her side and is now in his 20's. I could not imagine what they've been through.

Lupe, I don't know what to say. I am not in a position to offer an opinion. But, I'm sending you hugs...

Ok, if she's divorced and not working, thus, no income, HOW can she not qualify for any assistance? This makes no sense whatsoever. (I'm not doubting you, CJ, I just don't get it)

Medicaid is INCOME based--not working with ALS -- she HAS no income. I understand not qualifying for SSDI--but why not SSI?

Something is wrong with this picture--someone is dropping the ball somewhere! Even the ALSA or MDA won't help?

Going back to read posts...

I mentioned stockpiling some seconal to my therapist and he told me that maybe I should stay off the forum for a bit.

We both decided that being above ground beats the alternative.

I hope that you find some ways to turn things around. For me sometimes it really helps to do something for someone else. Sending warm thoughts your way.

- Jerry

Medicaid is INCOME based--not working with ALS -- she HAS no income. I understand not qualifying for SSDI--but why not SSI?

SSI Eligibility is based on having a low income.

Long term care Medicaid is more flexible in regard to income requirements due to the high cost of long term care in the home. I urge everyone to look into it.

Bad Balance is right.

My depression has been rearing its ugly head. I am not taking the advice of staying away from here---but I am channeling my energy into doing other things--my current 'project' is fundraising for ALS Guardian Angels. It keeps my mind off of me.

Heck, I even get enjoyment out of my favorite TV shows. I can veg for hours quite happily with my favorite TV.

Lupe--sue the A$$ for more alimony! Barring that, please look into finding a part-time caregiver that might work in exchange for rent. Save that $1500 you need for yourself!

i cant sue 4 more alimony, he is giving me the require n that according to government guidelines is to much. thnks everyone for listening wish family would b more caring

Oh Lupe, my heart breaks for you. This disease is hard enough without all of the additional worries. I don't know the answer to your situation, but my thoughts and prayers are with you.

lupe,i know how hard things have been for you especially being on your own with your son.
i feel a connection being on my own,son same age and not much financially.
every day is a struggle..........but everyday alive and sharing your life with your son is a blessing.
maybe we all can get our heads together and think of anyways we can get you help and make things easier.
i know from my experience with del,the texas alsa can be a bit lapse with help and you have to keep going on at them..........maybe we could inundate them with calls and emails lol.
keeping you in my thoughts (((hugs)))caroline

We live in Texas, and I thought Rick was going to end up in a state run nursing home with me living under a bridge. That is how bad it got before the VA made ALS service connected. It sounds like you have been trying everything, so you may already be on the CBA program. It is the one thing my husband did qualify for. They provided caregivers as least part time. Unfortunately for the most part, they were low paid, not well trained and not always dependable. A family member (not a spouse) or friend could be the one hired. If your son does a lot of your care, he might be able to get paid some.

Other than the care, there is no monetary help involved. Rick did get Social Security Disability, but in the Houston area, it is not enough to live on. Unfortunately that was the only help we ever found.

thnks caroline. gra`ndmommyk, whats CBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back