Diagnosis
05/2011
Country
US
State
Pennsylvania
City
Greensburg
I know everyone is different, but today my husband told me that he has pain in his jaw, and some minor problems swallowing. He hasn't had any Bulbar issues prior to this. I just want to know if this is how it started for others. Everyone is different...I just need to know for what ever reason. Thank yo.

my husband complained of jaw pain, like it would "pop out" and then back. I asked about it at clinic and she said it was similaar to the other types of spasms/spasticity he has throughout his body just now it's in the jaw. My husband had difficulty swallowing prior to the jaw pain and theres definitely been progression. As he spouse you'll always be on the lookout for signs of "the next thing." Ask about it at the next doc appt.

My father didnt have any jaw pain thank God, but I have known others here who have. I would also suggest talking to the doctor about the pain to get some meds that may relieve the discomfort. If he is now starting to have trouble swallowing hun, I would suggest that you take a quick course in the Heimlich maneuver....(that saved my dad one day at lunch eating a hamburger patty) and also a suction machine. Now the suction device wont help anything that gets down past where the suction device can reach, but things will soon get stuck in places where it can help, and you will need it later on anyway. Hope this helps hun.
Hugs, Kari

My goodness Blubear, I never even thought of the Heimilich, but you are 100% correct...I need to do jus that...take a course! Thank you so much!

I can provide you with a quick easy way to perform it.

Put your closed fist, pinky side down, across the bellybutton, then roll your hand up, so the thumb side of the fist is mid-abdomen. From behind, of course, do quick upward thrusts until the object expels. Anyone that has the Heimlich done should be seen by an ER just to be sure nothing is damaged.

ONLY do this if one can not speak, breath or cough. Otherwise, just watch them closely.

If they should pass out, while they are on the floor---basically perform CPR--except when you do the breaths, look for the object each time you pause to give breaths. The hope is that the chest compressions bring the object up where it can be reached, or the breaths move it enough that air gets to the lungs.

If strong enough and home alone, you can perform the Heimlich on yourself. First, from a landline, dial 911 and sit the phone on the counter. Pick up a hardback book and do thrusts on your mid-abdomen as hard as you can while you walk to the front door and open it. If you pass out (and you will if you don't dislodge the object) you need the police to find you immediately at the open door so they can treat you.

I've taught CPR for years--this is a very simplified version of how to do it.

CPR is simply using chest compressions with two hands in the center of the sternum. 30 compressions and 2 breaths (even without breaths can help)

Someone's chances of survival improve by 40% if CPR is started early. Chances of survival go up to nearly 70% if there is an AED used.

So glad to help dear heart. One other thing....well sometimes, just around the same time as it gets a bit harder to swallow things, he may actually choke on his own spit. Now, I was on here A LOT and learned this could happen, and warned my mom so she would not panic if it happened to my dad. Sure enough it did, and what happens is to just not panic and give em a couple pats on the back. They will panic, but just knowing about something like that may happen in the future will save you from your own panic. Just a heads up hun. Also, glad to know that you are looking into the Heimlich. My dad said it reminded him of football practice when someone would hit you in the gut and knock the wind out of you. He then laughed about it when everyone else was still in shock mode over it.
I am really glad you found this forum! We are a pretty tight knit community here, and it is a wealth of information. I studied and studied here....I was online every single day and when the time came, I ended up knowing more about what to do with a PALS than most nurses and some doctors. Not to mention the support you receive from all of the people here who you will come to know and love. Welcome to our family!
Hugs, Kari

How do you do a Heimlich for somebody in a power wheelchair who can't stand up? The chair backrest doesn't allow you to reach around the person with both hands.

-Tom

We got a mouth guard for Mom that she wears during the day and a different one for night. She woulkd get spasms and then her jaw would lock. She hasn't had any problems since she has been wearing the mouth guards.

How do you do a Heimlich for somebody in a power wheelchair who can't stand up? The chair backrest doesn't allow you to reach around the person with both hands.

-Tom

You do the thrusts the same way--just from the front.

If necessary, you put them flat on the floor and do them.

With preggo women or heavy men, you do the thrusts in the center of the chest.

They can be done as well from a kneeling position on a child, by the way, since I'm sure some of you have kids.

ANY CALS in central Florida want a Cpr class with Heimlich taught--please contact me via PM--I will teach it free of charge to any CAL or PAL

And something you don't always learn in class... a gentle squeeze ain't gonna do it! The first time or two I had to do it with Glen I was amazed how much strength I had to use!

And something you don't always learn in class... a gentle squeeze ain't gonna do it! The first time or two I had to do it with Glen I was amazed how much strength I had to use!

Excellent point I should have made in my post. The thrusts are hard and quick. It's more important to clear the airway than it is to worry about hurting their stomach.

If you do this on yourself--that's why we suggest a hardback book--most won't press hard enough with just their hands.

Oh, and the reason we don't teach the drop over the chair if you're home alone anymore is because if it doesn't work--it takes time for police/EMTs to get permission to enter a home if no one answers the door.

If you pass out--they need to find you right there at the door so they can begin immediate treatment. (All cops are trained in CPR and Heimlich--and if you're unconscious--it's basically CPR they do to treat an unconscious choking victim)

Thanks for pointing out my lack of clarification!

My daughter had to do this on me after my stroke. I choked twice in the hospital.

Oh--and whatever you do, don't hit an adult on the back who is choking--90% of the time if you hit someone on the back (an adult) the 'surprise" will cause them to suck in their breath--which will lodge the object deeper--and NO blind finger sweeps--only reach in if you SEE an object.

Things have changed in CPR/Heimlich in the last 10 years--a LOT

Ya, I am sure the adrenaline makes you a stronger woman huh! I told my dad if the Heimlich didnt work, even with my bad back, I would pick him up and hang is butt upside down if I had to! hahaha Yes, you can do it when they are in a wheelchair, and yep, you do it from the front. You are literally looking to knock the wind out of em. For those with PEG's, like my dad had, gotta be mindful of where that is so you dont rip on it. As far as the jaw pain..... well like I said always check with the doctor as well. I do have TMJ and when it aches I have a 10mg pill of flexeril I take. But I only take a little chip off that pill because it makes me so dang tired! Just a tiny amount does the trick for me. For pain, I used to take gabapentin.... (same as Neurontin) which is not an opiate. But, again ask the doctor hun.
Hugs, Kari

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back