Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
ON
City
SS
I did a search on the forum and did not find any post on this....

Ive been folding for several years. Basically you install software on your PC and it runs proteins folding simulations to try to under stand why proteins misfold. Thousands (or tens of thousands now) of people run these simulations and effectively makes a "super computer". The folding project is run by Stanford University. Its been running for about 10 years now I think, but ive read they can simulate things 1000 times longer then there original goals 10 years ago.

From there website
Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.

More info:
Folding@home - Main

Download link for windows (note: you can use all the default settings then simple start the application normally after installing)
http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/release/[email protected]

One common project they work on is Parkinson disease (especially on GPU (video cards)) and apparently the simulations they run for Parkinson could potentially help explain some of the ALS.

Few notes you need to know:
1# Mis-folded proteins are only theorized to cause some of these diseases.
2# It can take months of simulations from thousands of donards to just simulate something that takes just a few milliseconds.... This is more of a very thorough research as opposed to overnight magic cure.
3# If you keep your PC on 24/7 normally, then running this will probably increase power bill by about 5-10$ per month...

If anyone is interested in this, ill try to answer questions... Properly configured a high end PC can use all 4/6/8 cores for folding maxed out at 100% (aka: you fold a lot more).... If you have a high end Video card, you can also use that (I do most of my folding with my video card).

Uh, I'm not even gonna check that out, cuz I don't have time. But if you are legit, got to ALSTDI.

what happened to my post?

It was here earlier...

to summarize: folding is 100% legit and has gotten many awards.

Your post was removed because the links didn't work. Read above this post.
AL.

It's legit. You can find good info on the Stanford University site. Protein folding research holds possibilities for FTD and other dementias as well.

I've been running folding@home on my computer for about ten years. I installed shortly after I was diagnosed. It pauses when you are doing anything else so it doesn't slow down the machine. I felt that every little "bit" helps.

I watched a documentary on Oragami since I am always looking for new interests and ways to funnel my obsessive behavior.

One segment interviewed the person with this original idea who is highly educated and doing this research. His inspiration was the hobby that he enjoys; Oragami. Really just a brilliant person....and very young.

- Jerry

I'm not a dumb person, but I'm sorry, I don't get this. How does folding on a computer help disease... Please, in simple terms for me, explain. Because I just don't get it I feel dumb! ;)

If you check out there site, they give lots of good info: Folding@home - Main

OR here is an executive summary: http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/FoldingFAQ.pdf

Here is a quote from that summary:
What are proteins and why do they "fold"? Proteins are biology's
workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out their
biochemical function, they remarkably assemble themselves, or "fold."
The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to
virtually all of biology, remains a mystery. Moreover, perhaps not
surprisingly, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there
can be serious effects, including many well known diseases, such as
Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, and Parkinson's disease.

What folding@home simulate this folding to try to understand how and why it works. Finding ways proteins misfold could potentially lead to understanding how/why certain diseases are started, and potentially detect/prevent/cure them.

That's why I suggested the OP go to ALSTDI, where all the "nerds" are! LOL Very technical, that site. But good people.

CJ... I don't think it's neccessary to send anyone away. The more people that sign up the better. Kiss.. basically there is increasing evidence that misfolded proteins are the fundamental cause of a plethora of diseases. There are many many ways this happens, and it happens quickly. Basically the program sends results from thousands of computers ... using all the processors as one supercomputer... vastly increasing the amount of data the researchers have to look at

Katie, you misinterpreted my posts. I'm not sending them "away." I'm merely pointing them in the direction of those that discuss misfolding proteins very often.

I am very aware of misfolding protein theory, as is my husband. But, usually, bio-tech talk on this forum fizzles. Thought he would like to know where to go to discuss this further. Maybe I was too flippant.

The more people that sign up the better.

Thats exactly it. For each new person that does it, the more proteins can be folded, which potentially means quicker cures/preventions.

Thats exactly it. For each new person that does it, the more proteins can be folded, which potentially means quicker cures/preventions.

edit:
Katie, you misinterpreted my posts. I'm not sending them "away." I'm merely pointing them in the direction of those that discuss misfolding proteins very often.

I am very aware of misfolding protein theory, as is my husband. But, usually, bio-tech talk on this forum fizzles. Thought he would like to know where to go to discuss this further. Maybe I was too flippant.

Maybe ill post it there on day. But they probably already know about it.

Huh? Definitely another language to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back