Diagnosis
02/2011
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Steinhatchee
I have very little muscle in my left leg. I can use a walker around the house but need wheel chair when going out most places. Today started having strange feelings in my left foot. Not numb but the feeling that it is going to give out and have to get off my feet right away. Any suggestions what this good be?

Beckysuenc

Hello Becysuenc,
I am not quite sure exactly what your strange feelings in your foot may be. I will explain the feelings that I get in my feet and maybe this will help you relate in some way. I get certain sensations in my legs and feet. I'll do my best to explain them. It sort of feels like the muscles are fluttering. It does not cause me any pain or numbness at all. My feet are very boney looking, as I have lost much muscle in them. I am able to walk with a cane, but I need to take frequent rest periods. If I go into a store with my wife, I have to use an electric scooter. My ankles and knees tend to give out on me frequently. Thank goodness I have not fallen. I hope this helps you.
Arthur

Thanks Arthur....What you describe is almost exactly what I am experiencing. I can no longer use a cane and glad you can.
Thanks again
Beckysuenc

Artisto...Sorry about calling you Arthur...I need to be more careful when I look at names.
Beckysuenc

How are you today ? good I hope. I was diagnosed October 2007 and it hasn't been easy. Anything is possible with ALS as you obviously know. I was in the army when my hands started loosing function. From what I have exsperiancd and seen in other patients the smallest parts of the body go first. My feet are weaker as are my tungue, eye lids, and wrists. My theory is the body is constantly dehydrated. No matter what we do to stop it nothing can. Just stay positive and no soda and get the vent sooner than later. I was

Could this be a foot drop? I have to wear a brace or I fall. Just a thought.

To - Soonerd

No soda? Am I not supposed to drink soda?

Dear Beckysuenc,

From my experience i would say if your feet or legs feel like they are going to give out, that is exactly what is going to happen. I fell so many times... Take precautions early it is not worth getting injured, that will only complicate matters. It is hard to accept the need for walkers and wheelchairs but it is so necessary. When i went into a power wheelchair my life and happiness level improved greatly. I am free to move around on my own with very little effort. It has been a god send.

I have had several instances where I fell and it seemed almost that my brain just stopped functioning for an instant. My achillies area just collapsed or gave way. It is a strange thing when it occurs and you feel the result, in my case, of over two hundred pounds crashing to the ground or floor. Most recently it was on the stairs and I doubled under one foot....no breaks but painful with lots of swelling. It hurts to walk on it.

Who knows the reason? Sometimes it is almost like when you bite your tounge.

- Jerry

Hello everyone, I have appreciated this website so much. My husband has a lot of problems with tingling and unusual sensations along with fasiculations in his feet. He says it feels like he is walking on mulch with bare feet. Then the weakness sets in. The best thing that he likes is laying down with his foot elevated. Meds haven't really helped.

I think some folks use compressions socks, I use magnets insoles in my shoes to control pain and swelling. You can pm me if you'd like more info, I don't sell these, but do highly recommend them.

Francais
My husband said the bottoms of his feet burned and felt like he was walking on glass before he was ever diagnosed. He takes gout medicine and that seems to help the feeling in his feet. He's very weak with right foot drop and has fallen too many times.

Hi

I'm not diagnosed but have a lot of leg issues. I started with a cane, but was still falling. Went to walker when doc suggested it. I use a scooter for anything outside home usually. Falls are to be prevented. I understand the feeling you can't describe. With me, though, it progressed to sudden falls. Arms are too weak for me to get back up. I do understand wanting to do all you can while you can, but be careful. If you fall, get added support.

Take care

Leg injuries makes a man helpless. If you have any injury in leg, don't be careless immediately go to the doctor and consult with him

Falls are the enemy. Move to the next piece of equipment BEFORE you start falling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back