Loved one DX
Country
US
State
NY
City
Albany
Hello-
My PALS recently decided that he would like to use a non-invasive ventilator. Does this mean that he does not meet the criteria to qualify for hospice?

Standards seem to vary so widely. It is very confusing.

Pam

Pam, it all varies according to the individual hospice. I strongly suggest you give yours a call--and you may have more than one to choose from--and find out exactly what they will do for you.

I looked up all the hospice organizations in the area where my in-laws live. I called one of them. The woman was very nice. I explained the situation to her. She told me that they evaluate each person on an individual basis. She said they would need to evaluate my FIL and determine if he is terminal at this time. She suggested that my MIL have my FIL's doctor call and talk to them.

I was hoping to have more concrete answers to bring to my in-laws before bringing up the topic of hospice with them again. I guess this is one of those things I cannot do for them.

Oh, I understand. I had my father fill out a form at their docs years ago so that I could call and speak to them (my folks kept forgetting ibuprophen caused internal bleeding in Mom--and their new doc didn't know.) I don't know if your inlaws are ready to give you that "power".

Maybe call a couple more and see what they have to say, before you reach a conclusion? It does seem to vary, as you said, from agency to agency. You might get a more straightforward answer from another agency or two.

A non-invasive ventilator wouldn't be the same as a trach and vent. But, I believe you would need to have the BiPap before Hospice intervenes, as I believe you need to have adaptive/assistive equipment in place beforehand.

If the Hospice agency understands anything about ALS, they should understand a BiPap is not anything like a trach/vent.

Good Luck!

By "non-invasive ventilator", are you referring to a BiPAP? As abbas child said, standards vary from hospice agency to hospice agency. My hospice had no trouble with mine, even though I use it 24/7/365 and did when I started with them. They even supply new masks and hoses when needed.

I have a few patients in Hospice. One uses a BIPAP AVAPS almost 24/7 and the Hospice is paying the rest of the monthly rental. It will Cap (customer owned at 13 months per Medicare, so December). My co-worker has a gentleman who was already trached/vented and we provide 2 ventilators for a 24/7 ventilated person. He has now entered hospice and we have to take one ventilator (the back-up) away from him as hospice will only pay the rental on one ventilator. These gentlemen are working with two different hospices. I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back