Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Colorado
City
Colorado
My dad's feet/ankles are very swollen and purple...is this normal? How do you fix that?

Thanks!

Keep his feet elevated and call his doctor.

Lasix is used sometimes to increase urine output and get rid of fluids.

AL.

mine do th same when there down to long

There are also Ready Wraps by Solaris that are similar to compression stockings but easier to put on. Mine work pretty good.

AL.

that's fluid settling in

Explained in this MDA/ALS newsletter

What Causes Leg Swelling?

Unfortunately, there’s no "up elevator" in the circulatory system. Blood returning from the feet to the heart has to be pushed and squeezed along like a packet of catsup.

Walking helps this process because muscle contractions compress the veins and force blood up against gravity. A series of one-way valves along the way keeps blood from draining back down.

When walking ceases, it’s harder to get blood back up from the feet. Constant sitting also constricts blood flow by putting pressure on the veins.

As blood pools, the veins expand and water seeps out into the surrounding tissues, causing swelling, or edema. When this happens repeatedly, veins become leaky and water seeps out more easily, causing faster swelling. Meanwhile, the valves bearing the weight of the pooled blood can fail, allowing blood to drain back down. Such valve damage is permanent, leading to more circulatory problems.

If they're still swollen call the doctor. Could be blood clots in which case he needs to go to the E.R.

Has been the norm for me once in a wheelchair. Keep elevated as much as you can. Use compression hose.

There are a lot of things that can cause swelling in the legs/feet/ankles. My comment is to be very careful assuming every new thing that develops is part of the diagnosed illness.

Swelling in the feet and ankles can have causes such as kidney issues and medication issues and circulation problems.

As the others said, clots are always a concern in anyone that is immobile or sits for long periods of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back