Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Highland Park
I'm in searching for a BiPAP machine for my father who recently diagnosed with ALS and has trouble breathing deeply. His CO2 level is rising as a consequence and he is feeling weak.

I did some reasearch online, and frankly am quite confused with the different versions of the bipap machines. I find ResMED S9 series which I think it should fit for my father as the machine claims to be very quite. My question is which one should I choose, the S9 VPAP auto or the S9 VPAP s/t.

And what's the general suggestion for the starting EPAP and IPAP?

Thank you

I personally have used the Respironics Bipap Avaps ST with a humidifier, although I did not use the humidifier that often. The following link will show you the Bipap, BiPAP AVAPS - Philips
It worked very well for me, it was quiet, easy to operate, and compact. I now use the Trilogy 100 being that I need a machine that has a battery for its use. As far as the Epap and Ipap settings, everyones settings are different based on their needs. It's best to get your settings from a Pulmonolgist and RT eval who have worked with PALS. My Epap is set at 4 and my Ipap is set for a max of 21 with my Tidal volume at 1000. This other link provides an explanation of such settings for an individual with neuromuscular involvement, however the slide show is meant for a healthcare provider.
Ventilator Management In Different Disease Entities@@AMEPARAM@@ssplayer2.swf?doc=ventilatormanagementindifferentdiseaseentities-100330220411-phpapp01&stripped_title=ventilator-management-in-different-disease-entities@@AMEPARAM@@ventilatormanagementindifferentdiseaseentities-100330220411-phpapp01@@AMEPARAM@@ventilator-management-in-different-disease-entities

I hope this is helpful.

Why are you looking for one of these machines Your doctor can order it for your father, Medicare will pay on it monthly.

Is your father a patient of an ALS clinic and, if so, what are they recommending? If your father is not a patient at an ALS clinic, why isn't he? The ALS clinic will prescribe the correct machine when the time comes.

By the way, you won't be able to purchase a BiPAP/VPAP machine from a durable medical equipment dealer on the open market without a doctor's prescription. You also won't be able to get the instructions for setting the pressures on the machine, either.

How do you know that your father's CO2 is rising and that he needs a BiPAP?

Last edited:
Sorry I didn't make myself clear enough. My father is in China. His neurologist doesn't have much experience about the bibap machine, but is willing to prescribe for it. I don't know weather a Chinese prescription can work here or not. Anyway, I'll give it a try.

I second the Trilogy I have used for 1-1/2 years, lightweight, real quiet, 6 hours backup, and easy to operate. One feature I really like is I can put 12' of hose on and I can go right in the shower.

Thank you Artisto. This is extremely helpful. I got a BiPAP AVAPS for my father.

Your quite welcome.

His neuro might not know much--but a pulmonary doctor would. I would assume China has them? Then, if you want to purchase the machine here for him--do so--but those machines need to be ordered and set up properly based on his needs.

He needs to see a pulmonologist.

Or a Respiratory Therapist.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back