Loved one DX
Country
US
State
NY
City
Albany
Hello-
I live in New York state. I have questions regarding the legality of withdrawing someone from a ventilator.

My father-in-law has rapidly progressing PBP. He is starting to have breathing issues. He is trying to decide if he wants a ventilator. I want him to be able to make his decision with all the facts and all the options that are available to him.

Specifically, I want to know if he were to opt for a ventilator, become dependent on it and then change his mind, would he, legally, be allowed to be removed from the ventilator?

I just don't know who to ask...a lawyer, a doctor, someone else?

He should have living will, with specific guidelines. And there should be at least one family member with durabla medical power of attorney. The social workers at any hospital will be able to guide you to local resources.

pamdemonium

Perhaps you could talk to a hospiss administrator. Get several opinions. I had a cousin, lived in Indiana, on a vent. He chose the day
that he would be removed from his vent.

Jim

Your local ALSA chapter should be able to refer you to reputable advice in your state. Also, maybe your state has a department dealing specifically with elder care issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back