Diagnosis
07/2007
Country
US
State
NC
City
Raleigh
Here are some sample graphics that I've put together as a part of a new awareness campaign a few of us are trying to get started on F a c e b o o k. Comments and criticisms are welcome, along with similar ideas that can be boiled down this simply.

Attachments

• i-am-chair-male2.gif
    i-am-chair-male2.gif
    30.4 KB · Views: 364
  • i-love-chair-male2.gif
    i-love-chair-male2.gif
    26.4 KB · Views: 502
And, the other half of the set:

Attachments

• i-am-chair-female2.gif
    i-am-chair-female2.gif
    30.8 KB · Views: 381
  • i-love-chair-female2.gif
    i-love-chair-female2.gif
    28 KB · Views: 374
Catchy! Wouldn't they make great t-shirts?

They would be good for shirts as said--and there are places around that would make transfers or screenprint pretty reasonably.

Sorry, Allen, I don't get what you are trying to accomplish. There are tons of "handicapped" designs already out there. Is this for ALS awareness? Could you explain a bit? I can probably help, just give me your main idea.

Interesting idea...

If you're considering making shirts: I don't think you'd need the graphic about being in the wheelchair, they can see that... and probably would be a bit hard to read. The other graphic: I (heart) the person in the wheelchair is interesting, but consider making it unisex, not pink and blue to save on costs. (You could print it in the same color on shirts, and just change the color of the shirt.)

These kind of remind me of the old prego shirts I've seen, with a traffic arrow pointing down (towards the belly) and the words "UNDER CONSTRUCTION", or the ones with an arrow pointing left or right saying "I'M WITH STUPID". NOT that I'm recommending that of course, but if you could make it a more catchy phrase and keep the graphics simpler, it would work better.

CJ, it was born out of some discussions that I had with various people during the first few days of the Walton & Johnson controversy. When I was trying to explain who Stephen Hawking was, I got a lot of "Who?" Then I would say "You know, the guy in the wheelchair who talks about science stuff with the funky robotic voice," and the light bulb would go on for a lot of people.

Then later, when Clear Channel made its various proposals which didn't include an on-air apology from the dastardly duo, I was in a discussion with several CALS where I was the only one who didn't find the CC proposals acceptable. They were basically telling me to shut up about the CC offers and that we weren't going to get any better offers. They were stunned when I told them I didn't give a d*mn about radio shows and PSAs and that quitting without an apology was fine for the folks who were still walking, but not so fine for those of us in (or soon to be in) the wheelchair.

Finally, a new Fa ce bo ok group was started by another PALS who also had the "no apology == no peace" mentality and I was invited to join that group. I was kicking a few ideas around with him and the "I am the man in the wheelchair" meme was born. It's modeled on the scene at the end of the movie Spartacus, where all the slaves rise up and declare "I am Spartacus."

YouTube - ‪I'm Spartacus (Ext. Length)‬‏

So, "I am the man in the wheelchair" serves two purposes for us. One, it is an expression of solidarity with Professor Hawking, the famous "man in the wheelchair" who was the subject of W&J's ignorant attack. Second, it is a rallying point for all PALS so that our voices don't get lost and ignored in fast-moving events like this any more, simply because our disabilities don't allow us to keep up with those ablebodied folks who appoint themselves to speak (or not speak) on our behalf and who patronize us and shout us down when we don't see things the "right" (their) way.

Last edited:
One of my early experiences with my pals using a wheelchair was when we went to a cousins anniversary celebration. Some of my pals school friends were there. There was my pals valiantly typing on her lightwriter trying to say hello, basically being ignored. As they made off to the other side of the room I intercepted them to say this was their schoolfriend. Their response: but it can't be her, she's in a wheelchair. I wanted to deck them.....but one of your signs would have worked even better!

i would like the shirt that says i heart the man in the wheelchair.
but i do agree that something needs to be added to make it more for ALS than just any disability...
unless you want awareness for ALL disabilities and not just ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back