Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
tx
City
houston
Anybody know of a company that offers ltc ins. that would also include nuero diseases.Just shopping around for ltc ins. and hoping someone here has some suggestions on a co. that they use.thx alot guys.

I was given the number of a company from united healthcare. No info on how good they are--just that they are for long-term care. it's apparently an AARP sponsored company.

aarp: 1800-247-2335 Genworth

When we were shopping for LTC insurance for my wife, we called an insurance broker who represents many insurance companies, and he was able to sit with us and then recommend an insurance company to meet our needs.

I'm not aware of any LTC policy that would specifically exclude neuro diseases. I believe a standard policy would include them. But you would need to check the fine print before settling. You usually have a month or two where you can get a refund of premiums if you're not happy with anything.

We were shopping for my wife, not me. However, there was no medical exam required, and she only had to answer a few questions to qualify. They're basically trying to make sure you don't already have the most common diseases: cancer, AIDS, diabetes, etc. There weren't any questions about ALS of course. This was two years ago. But I remember at the time I ALMOST was able to qualify even though I had already been diagnosed. I think the only thing that disqualified me was I had just begun using a wheelchair for extended day trips. If I had tried a couple months earlier it would have been no problem. This was astonishing, and I recommend everyone try to get it while their in the diagnosis process or early in the disease. Just make sure you are truthful with all your answers. They usually don't ask the right questions.

-Tom

Thx guys for your responses, tmasters i saw your skydiving clip clip .Looks fun im adding that to my list.What company did your wife get her policy from. thx agian

@daddypix: I think it was John Hancock that approved her but then also she qualified through her employer (Disney) so we went with that as the premium was lower.

My new recommendation for all new ALS patients is to look for insurance. LTC and term life. I got a new life insurance policy through AAA no medical exam required and I was truthful to all the questions. $90 per month for $200k policy. If they don't ask the right questions it's too bad for them. Haha their loss!

Thanks the skydiving was the last bucket list list item. I have a LONG list of checked off items. I recommend it. The place was very accomodating to people with disabilities (gimps).

-Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back