Diagnosis
07/1995
Country
US
State
TX
City
Spring
I was wondering if anyone has gone through the process of getting a grant through the VA to help you purchase a vehicle. My husband should be getting his certificate to take to a dealership in the next 10 days. I had thought we would need to use it to help us purchase a vehicle that had already been converted. However it was hinted at that if we bought a regular/mini van with the certificate that another program would pay to put the lift on.

I was reading the paper work for an application for just adapting a vehicle. It said the veteran would not qualify for the adaptive equipment if he could no longer drive. I am confused. I will be asking questions through the VA this week and the service organizations but thought maybe someone on here had already went through the process.

Thanks a bunch,
Karen

If your haven't already, apply for Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation benefits ASAP.

Our ALS team at the Tampa VAMC explained the process, so:
a. Use the VBA grant to buy an unmodified vehicle.
b. Use the Chapter 31 benefits to modify it.

Advice I trust: Every two years, do it again.

A specialty van dealer knows which vehicles are best to modify.
We are renting each type, to see what we like.

I would recommend you get a van that has already been modified. Find a large dealer in your area that has worked with the automotive grant. The VA will pay for the cost of all modifications done and a one time $10,000 grant towards the vehicle itself.

Here is the information on the auto. $11,000 for the vehicle ( one time only ), then adaptations. If you buy it from a mobility dealer, they will be familiar with the process. We figured out what van we wanted, and the dealership took care of the rest. It was the same for a new or used van. The conversion has to be "new". The VA won't pay for a conversion that was used by someone else.

Automobile and Special Adaptive Equipment Grants

Can a Veteran Receive Financial Assistance From VA to Purchase an Automobile?

Yes. Financial assistance, in the form of a grant, is available to purchase a new or used automobile (or other conveyance) to accommodate a veteran or servicemember with certain disabilities that resulted from an injury or disease incurred or aggravated during active military service. The grant may also be paid, if disabilities are a result of medical treatment, examination, vocational rehabilitation, or compensated work therapy provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

The grant is paid directly to the seller of the automobile for the total price (up to $11,000) of the automobile. The veteran or servicemember may only receive the automobile grant once in his/her lifetime.

What Disabilities Must You Have to Qualify for the Automobile Grant?
A veteran or servicemember must have one of the following disabilities to qualify for the automobile grant:
• loss, or permanent loss of use, of one or both feet
• loss, or permanent loss of use, of one or both hands, or
• permanent impairment of vision in both eyes to a certain degree

Does VA Pay to Adapt a Vehicle?
Yes. Those qualified for the automobile grant, and veterans or servicemembers with ankylosis (immobility of the joint) of one or both knees or hips resulting from an injury or disease incurred or aggravated by active military service may also qualify for the adaptive equipment grant.

Adaptive equipment includes, but is not limited to, power steering, power brakes, power windows, power seats, and special equipment necessary to assist the eligible person into and out of the vehicle. Contact should be made with your local VA medical center’s Prosthetic Department prior to purchasing any equipment.

The adaptive equipment grant may be paid more than once, and it may be paid to either the seller or the veteran.

How Can I Apply for an Automobile and/or Special Adaptive Equipment Grant?
You can apply for the automobile and/or the special adaptive equipment grant by completing VA Form 21-4502, Application for Automobile or Other Conveyance and Adaptive Equipment and submitting it to your local VA regional office. The instructions on the VA Form 21-4502 contain a list of adaptive equipment that has been pre-approved for particular disabilities.

Note: After you complete and submit Section I of the application, VA will complete Section II and return the original to you. You are responsible for obtaining the invoice from the seller, updating Section III, and submitting the form to your local VA regional office for payment.

If you are entitled to adaptive equipment only (i.e., service connected for ankylosis of knees or hips) you should complete VA Form 10-1394, Application for Adaptive Equipment – Motor Vehicle and submit it to your local VA medical center. Additionally, VA Form 10-1394 should be completed for approval of equipment not specified on the VA Form 21-4502.

Thank you all for the replies. The certificate for the 11k came in the mail. He has medical appointments at the VA tomorrow. We are hoping to meet with his representative with the Veteran's Service Commission while we are down there. Hoping he is knowledgeable about the process.

I thought I would give an update on my experience so far. I only got through to the local VA Regional office once by phone. I could only get general information because apparently there is yet another form that requires my husband's signature before this department can talk to me.
We were not able to meet with the Veteran's Service people cause there was a conference. We were told that only 1 person was there, but we never saw her. Each time we stopped by between appointments, her door was closed with no sign in sheets.
When we finished at the VA hospital. we had an hour left before the Regional office was to close. We went there in person to hand in the form we needed giving them permission to talk with me. Unfortunately it had taken a half hour to get to the desk and by then the counselors had all left. I was promised that the form would be in the computer Monday morning, and then I would be able to talk with someone. I started trying to call late Monday morning but was never able to get through. The line was either busy or at the end of the recording, it would say there was no one to take my call and call back later.
I called everyone at the VA medical center I could think of that might be able to help me and talked to 2 mobility dealerships. Even the dealerships told me different things. One said his signed 21-4502 was enough. The other said I needed another form. Somewhere in the midst of everything, I was told to call the chief of prosthetics. I got her voice mail.
This morning no one had called me back (not 1 person). I started again with the chief of prosthetics. She answered the phone and told me that my husband had to be evaluated to determine what equipment was needed. She said if we bought a van adapted or not before this evaluation, then the VA would only pay the $11,000. She said the lady who does the evaluation would check off the equipment needed, return the form to us the same day and then we could go buy the vehicle. Then they would pay the 11k for the van and pay for the adaptive equipment as well.
I left a message on the ladies voice mail asking for her to call me back to schedule the evaluation as quickly as possible. Hoping and praying I can reach her soon and get the evaluation scheduled quickly.
BTW, we have just applied for the Vocational benefits, so thought it would be quicker to go this route. Time will tell.

Sorry to hear you got a run-around. At first, so did we. But as soon as we got the P&T decision on paper, everything opened up.

My wife has had rapidly progressing ALS for only 6 months and is probably end stage now. We get EXCELLENT service from everyone, especially VA Tampa.

HALF of the reason, I think, that we get such good support because (unfortunately) people enjoy helping me and my wife. We always smile, never complain and always praise them. We work hard at educating and helping ourselves before seeing them.

The other half of the reason is simply LOCATION, location, .... Tampa VA has a TON of experience with ALS and SCI. In fact, we live in Orlando, where the VA folks are nice, but the experience level is low, so we travel to Tampa.

Regarding vans. We rented 5 models from 3 dealers during June and decided yesterday.
1) Dodge Caravan with Braun XT conversion rides rough like an old box truck.
2) Toyota Sienna very comfortable and expensive. Cost to vet would be $32,000.
3) Honda Odyssey 2010 nearly luxurious, quieter, smoother, roomier.
--- The original car cost says $33,000 and the conversion costs $33,000, but the dealer was able to bring the "cost to veteran" down to $18,000 and said she can arrange financing even with our bad credit. I have the cash, but would like a loan to re-establish good credit.
--- Thank goodness for the P&T rating and SSDI.

--- The fact is, you only need a few things to get the van:
a) Form 4502 should have already been issued if you applied. And that application should have been included in the Decision letter when the VARO rated you at 100% P&T.
b) Pick a dealer and a van. They should ALL know the system way better than we do.

You should be using the Paralyzed Veterans of America (PVA). They have an office in the regional VA building and have worked directly with ALSA to make sure veterans with ALS are taken care of.

Smiling, self education and concern for others goes a LONG way at the VA. But, be ready to stand your ground when you run into that one erson who makes your life difficult. ZenArcher gave me great advice in the beginning. Only open the can of whoop ass when you have to, but when you have to, do open it up. Starting this process is hard. It is uncharted territory. You will quickly learn how your VA operates and who the important players are! I work through the PVA. Unfortunately, we do not have a very good local service officer. I have found that the regional service officer is fantastic and more than willing to help us any time we need it.

Keep us posted!

We're buying a van today. Gave up our Jetta for trade, and Braun credit approved us for a loan instantly.

We are awaiting the VA for our first appt with the VA doctor. I have heard that the Tamps VA is wonderful. I am hoping for a 100% rating for my husband but with ALSFRS of 16 and R at 23 well you never know.

I do not know if we can apply if it comes in at 80% but you recommend a Dealership vs a Mobility Company? We are doing some research just in case and trying to acquire as much information as possible. We live in Clermont Florida and I guess I will check it out.

but with ALSFRS of 16 and R at 23 well you never know.

I do not know if we can apply if it comes in at 80% but you recommend a Dealership vs a Mobility Company? .

Your local minivan dealer might or might not know how to do this. But a company that specializes in disabled minivans will, we hope, know all about it.

The people who sell vans to disabled vets every day know how to do it right.

The vehicle grant (for the vehicle itself) comes from VBA. Veterans with a service-connected loss of use of one or both hands or feet should apply to the VA Regional Office for a one-time automobile grant of $11,000 (becomes $18,000 in October 2011).

The conversion is paid by the VHA, your local VAMC. Your prosthetics department will, whenever your VA doctor prescribes, pay for conversions and modifications and adaptive equipment for your vehicle.

I am in the last stage of buying a 2010 Honda Odyssey, brand new, from Stephanie Wooleyhan at Mobility Freedom, which has several Florida outlets. I'll let you all know how it goes when it's complete.

Read the Fact Sheet at http://www.vba.va.gov/VBA/benefits/factsheets/serviceconnected/Autoeg_0708.doc.

Also, not known by many, but the grant is SUPPOSED to go up to $18,000 in October. And, the Honda is the Van to go for if you can afford it. Also, the VA allows 2 modifications in a 4 yr period, so in a yr(or less), you can trade in the Van you got for another one, and the VA will pay for the modifications. We traded out Chrysler in(got $21,000) and had to come up with $8,000 for a new Honda.

My dealer offered me a new 2010 Honda Odyssey with Braun ramp package for $18,000 cost to the veteran, so we traded in our Jetta and we financed the remaining $9000 with Braun Credit.

We had bought a vehicle last year prior to knowing of the disease ALS, but it will work fine. My problem has been getting my motorized wheelchair, every doctor agrees I need it and past due for it. The problem was it seemed as if no one knew what channel to go through. Today my wife and I went to the VA director and chief of staff. I ranted and raged even though I knew they couldn't understand a word I said. Then my wife explained everthing, supposdedly now I should have everything I need within 5-10 days. We shall see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back