Diagnosis
09/2010
Country
US
State
California
City
Boulder Creek
I was diagnosed with ALS in September of 2010, and knew at that time that I must make something positive come of this tragic disease. So I wrote a children's picture book, "Your Ema Loves You", to let my young grandchildren know that, even though a grandma's body may not function normally, her mind will remain alive and her love will always remain strong. Check it at my website, yourema.com! Eloise Lovelace

I'm very sorry about your diagnosis, but very happy you wrote the book! Thank you for sharing. I'm sure the book will be a big help for families of young children. I hope the ALSA picks it up as a recommended read for kids, instead of the one our chapter sent us about a child with cancer (that made no sense to me).

Our son is going on 11 now and I wish your book had been available when he was 6! (The illustrations in the preview are adorable!) He's too surly now to appreciate such.

Good luck! Oh and welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
I too am sorry for your diagnosis. I want to commend you on your initative and creativity to write a childrens book about it. Thanks for sharing!

PALS Writes Childrens Book About ALS

Eloise Lovelace, a PALS in California who is a former special education teacher, recently published a children's book to help explain the symptoms of the disease to her young grandchildren. This heartwarming illustrated children's book describes how the loving relationship between a grandmother and her grandchild will continue to be strong despite the physical challenges caused by aging and illness. It teaches children that the basic personality of, and love generated by, a grandparent remains powerful and alive. You can read a recent newspaper article about Eloise and the book here: Boulder Creek woman with Lou Gehrig's disease writes book for children - Santa Cruz Sentinel

The book is entitled "Your Ema Loves You" and is available for purchase online.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank-you for your thoughts! I did send a press release to ALSA.

I bet the book is wonderful...

Thank you for writting your book. I ordered a copy the other day. Can't wait for it to arrive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back