Diagnosis
01/2011
Country
US
State
Oregon
City
Portland
Does anyone out there have any info on this...My moms friend came in yesterday and said that she should try some marijuana,it will increase life expectancy with ALS and more!?

check out the NORML website for differences in intake methods

Does anyone out there have any info on this...My moms friend came in yesterday and said that she should try some marijuana,it will increase life expectancy with ALS and more!?

Marijuana may help with some ALS symptoms (cramps and spasticity), along with improving mood and appetite, but it does nothing to improve life expectancy for ALS patients.

Sorry.

thats sort of up in the air Trfogey. There are a few studies out there that say it slows neuron death...
i cannot post a link, as i dont remember where i read it.

OK, know this needs to go to moderation first but worth it... the link is to an article on the NORML website citing several reports in different journals noting preclinical results showing slowdown of progression in animal subjects with the introduction of cannibanoids. It's a short article. At the bottoms are links to the actual articles cited.

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) - NORML

There are a few legitimate studies that suggest that it might help--at least it has in mouse models. Of course, the site won't post links. Do a search on G 00 g l e with the words marijuana and ALS to read some of them

I have MS not ALS. But from my experience miranol didn't work for me for some reason but I did see help with my spasticity from smoking and eating it

Oh--did want to add one thing. If you do decide to try it for the nausea, pain and appetite properties--make sure you get an RX--because if you take any pain meds--the doctors might stop them if the THC test comes up positive in a routine drug test.

thats sort of up in the air Trfogey. There are a few studies out there that say it slows neuron death...
i cannot post a link, as i dont remember where i read it.

Show me the study that shows the benefit specifically to increased life expectancy. Or show me a respected ALS researcher or clinician who advocates it to his/her own patients.

Here's a list of 1400+ studies at G o o g l e Scholar to get you started:

amyotrophic lateral sclerosis marinol OR Dronabinol OR marijuana OR cannabinoid OR cannabinol - Google Scholar

The way I read those studies, there has been a good deal of speculation about a neuroprotective effect from some of the compounds in marijuana and some preliminary studies in cell cultures and the SOD1 mouse have been done, but no human studies have been done in ALS patients except this one

Randomized Placebo-Controlled Crossover Trial With THC (Delta 9-Tetrahydrocannabinol) for the Treatment of Cramps in Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov

which did not address lfe expectancy and questions whether THC had any real effect on cramps at all.

Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) for cramps in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: a randomised, double-blind crossover trial -- Weber et al. 81 (10): 1135 -- Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry

So, I'll stand by my previous statement -- it does nothing to improve life expectancy for ALS patients -- until the real science is in.

Studies concerning ALS and various cannabinoid compounds have been going on for a decade with a conspicuous lack of positive results. Saying that the issue is "up in the air" is purely wishcasting, not science.

There are a few legitimate studies that suggest that it might help--at least it has in mouse models. Of course, the site won't post links. Do a search on G 00 g l e with the words marijuana and ALS to read some of them

Several things have been tried and work in the SOD-1 mice. The overwhelming majority of those same therapies show no positive effects in human trials and occasionally actually cause harm to ALS patients (see minocycline).

I'll close this screed with my usual piece of advice on these subjects: If there is something that is proven effective in treating this disease, every PALS will be on it (or at least offered it). Everything else is a crapshoot and the rule about things that sound too good to be true should be observed.

Actually.. I believe stating it doesn't is the same as stating it does... neither is actually accurate. The animal studies suggest potential for neuroprotection and therefor deserve further, controlled clinical study on human subjects. It would be a shame to simply dismiss the potential and not see it studied further.

More discussions concerning marijuana, THC, cannabinoids, etc., from the ALS forums.

Discussions go back to at least 2004.

Question for those of you who think I am insufficiently enthusiastic about the uses of these substances by ALS patients: How long do you wait for a no-show invited guest to show up before you decide he/she really isn't coming after all and you've actually been stood up?

I hope we are close to legalizing marijuana at the federal level, there are already numerous states legalize for medical use as you know

trfogey, you are most likely right, but I don't want you to be. There is just so little to hold on to for the hope that something will change the course of ALS. It IS unrealistic to think that something so far-fetched as marijuana could make a difference. I just want that miracle that we're all waiting for to show up NOW. I want for Gary to be able to meet our grandchildren (he's 63 - no grandkids yet), I want to grow old with this kind, gentle, generous husband of mine who has cherished our family more than anything in the world. His dad is 94 years old, and my folks were both in their 90's when they died, so we have always assumed that we would live to be rocking in our chairs together enjoying life and each other until were are 100.

I want a miracle cure for Gary and you and all the other fine people who tell their tragic stories on the forum. I do appreciate and respect and learn from your obvious knowledge and wisdom that you share. I just don't want you to be right.

I'm all in favor of clinical trials for cannabinoids and their derivatives as ALS therapies. Do the science right and let the chips fall where they fall. I just find the general attitude of the pro-cannabis side very offputting, much as I do the Iplex proponents. The science to date hasn't supported their claims, but they'll hang with their theory (and its ideology) to the end.

The cookie jar that's out of reach always has the most amazing cookies. And nobody can tell me differently, because you haven't tried them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back